Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 10:19 AM

Re: Call To Arms England Supporters Thread.

I think regardless of how they play on the night, whether they win, lose or draw. We are all there shouting for England.

We have put the bunting out to support them. Yes after the first match we can pick over what went wrong and what they should have done. Dare I say it are we too polite on the pitch.

I watched the French match on Sunday I believe it was and all I saw was players trying to kick each other, every time I looked someone was on the floor holding something.

Not saying this is the way to go, but do we need to be more aggressive.
Poddies
New Member!
Nottingham UK
Poddies is male 

19-06-2014, 12:41 PM

1st week of World Cup and as much as I like football sometimes it just get's on your nerves.
I was listening to Robbie Savage on 5 live with the Australia game and Cahill scored a great goal and for the next 15 minutes he was like a shouting school child that was about to explode with words that he could not pronounce. Just settle down a bit, yes it was a great goal and he said it is the best of competition and no-one would score a better goal. We will see but we are only 1 week in!!!!
The press are having a field day about Rooney. WHY ! he played well on Saturday especially as he is not playing in his best position but the press just go on and on, but nothing about the poor defence that lead to the two goals.
Hope England win tonight mmmmm I hope
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Hi PK - we already have a 'World Cup' thread, so this may be moved onto there ......
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 10:51 AM

Well we have the English Flag up there are four here on the lawn, see one has gone now but I am supporting the country and not the team! Does that make sence, sorry but the English half of me thinks either put up or shut up, and Stevie G is a man on a mission but its a shame the other ten arent.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Rooney your world beater.... can't play wide left at international football.He is ok playing for his club where he has his team mates to mop up the mess afterwards and make him look good,but internationally he can't do it consistently game after game.
There are those that can and there are those that can't and I am afraid Rooney is one of the latter.
Funnily enough I was listening to a radio discussion about this point yesterday and all the pundits agreed that the reason Rooney has never produced at international level is quite simple - his England colleagues are simply not as good as his club colleagues (apart from Carrick, of course who should have been in the England team instead of Gerrard - who did at least produce one moment of magic when he expertly flicked the ball on for his club colleague Suarez to score). They don't think as quickly, they do not have the skill levels and they do not have the speed.
As for Rugby being a neanderthal game - how long is it since you watched a game? Yes it is brutally physical, but it also involves amazing technical skills, intelligence and bravery.

Just to add that the England Under 20's Rugby Team has just won the Rugby Junior World Championship in New Zealand for the second year running. They were up against a fearsomely strong South African side and after a close game, won 21:20. If our overpaid, namby pamby footballers showed a fraction of the skill, heart and bravery of these boys, they would not be facing an ignominious early exit from the world cup. Now that's what I call an England Team to be proud of!

Here's hoping this win inspires to senior team to a victory over the All Blacks in the final test in Hamilton tomorrow!!!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 11:49 AM

I actually thought Gerrard's passing was pinpoint last night in the first half but halftime arrived and when he came out the second half he looked a little tired his passing wasn't great after that. He never had anyone to help ease his workload in midfield.
Things are never going to change with England as long has we have a yes man in the managers seat and he picks players on how many shirts they are going to sell. Rooney may have scored his first WC goal but really the fella is just about passed his sell by date and should not be in an England shirt. My thoughts after last night is that the whole bloody lot need to be dropped and the manager needs to start afresh.But that will never happen.
So here we are wishing that Italy can win the next 2 games and that England can some how overcome Costa Rica by scoring loads of goals to build up our goal average.
I don't think so .
Guess I had better get my orange jersey out of it's hiding place.. Come On Holland..
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
So here we are wishing that Italy can win the next 2 games and that England can some how overcome Costa Rica by scoring loads of goals to build up our goal average.
I don't think so .
Guess I had better get my orange jersey out of it's hiding place.. Come On Holland..
Much as I hate to say this on an open forum but I've been keeping an eye on the Dutch for months and I've got a bit of a hankering for them to win it, especially after Spain crashed out in such an appalling manner.

I watched the England match - most of it - last night, despite my normal avoidance.

I can't really profess to be a football pundit and I know there are hundreds who are better analysts than I am but I always watch these South American teams handling the ball and to me there is no doubt about it - they are the masters of the short, quick, low pass and seem to have the ability to know exactly where the other guys are - or should be - down to the last metre, all the time!

The Spanish, Portuguese and Italians have also latched onto this so why oh why can't our players do it at this level?!
I watched long pass after long pass, often not accurate - as long passes tend to be plus long in-swinging pass or corners ALWAYS up high - why?

Saurez did 'em low several times and caught England out almost every time!

The 2nd Saurez goal's down to Gerrard isn't it?!
What was he thinking at that point in the game?

Kick it into touch if you're tired / unsure; he should know that!

About time we got rid of the ruling clique and got a Coach / Manager with guts to go out there and look at the talent wasting away in lower leagues and train 'em up.

Stuff yer Gerrards, Rooneys, Lampards etc., their time's over!
Anyway, enough of that - got housework to get on with! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Suarez YAY ! What a trouper - wouldn't know he's recovering from knee operation and the reason for that ? - passion and focus for the game !
Something we lack ........
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 05:10 PM

On the bright side lads have you noticed.

stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Suarez YAY ! What a trouper - wouldn't know he's recovering from knee operation and the reason for that ? - passion and focus for the game !
Something we lack ........
Yeah, that's what got me too Patsy.

How come he can produce a performance like that after only 4 weeks from a major Op and our pathetic whingers can't do that?

Sorry, got a strop on now!

It's personal when foreigners start criticising my country's sportsmen / sportswomen!

Doesn't matter what my opinion is - I still support them 'cos it's important to do that - innit?!! stevmk2

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top