Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
fullofun
New Member!
warwickshire, england
fullofun is female 

06-05-2014, 08:30 AM

Brown window frames

I own freehold house built some 30 years which has brown window frames, as have all the other 9 in this Management-maintained complex. I need to replace my window frames and would like to have white frames (either wood or plastic). Stipulations in the Deeds state that all external decorations must not be changed. Brown frames were fashionable 30 years ago, and still do on 'cottagey' houses, but on mine they look drab. If my neighbours had no objection, who would stop me from changing the frames to white? The stipulations also say no property should be used for business purposes, but as one or two have been 'bought to rent', isn't that a form of business, and some front doors (external decorations?) have changed colour over the years! Are 'Stipulations' set in stone for ever and ever? Any comments would be most grateully received.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 09:03 AM

Re: Brown window frames

Hello Joan welcome.

as have all the other 9 in this Management-maintained complex.
In that case I would think not.
The stipulations also say no property should be used for business purposes, but as one or two have been 'bought to rent', isn't that a form of business, and some front doors (external decorations?) have changed colour over the years!
renting a house is not the same as running a business and painting doors a different colour is not the same as changing the window frames, it is a temporary change.

You say the complex is 'management maintained ' have you approached the management with your queries.

Sorry I can't sound more positive but my house has various stipulations in the deeds which can't be broken (like erecting any form of fence at the front of the property/running a business) and I was made aware of them when I read the deeds on purchase .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 09:06 AM

I can only speak from personal experience and we are not allowed to change ours unless all 42 flat do so at the same time. I can't ever see that happening so we are stuck with what we got.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 09:11 AM

There is a kind of logic behind many of these stipulations and they relate to not allowing an estate to become a 'mish mash' of various styles or causing inconvenience to other owners.

I was quite pleased about the fence rule which ensures the light and open aspect is preserved on my property and keeps a uniformity of frontage in this pretty hamlet
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Yes that's the logic but here it means some people have windows hanging off they can't open and close them etc, we just can't get the same frames any more. Something that should have been planned for IMO
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 09:15 AM

Try the Citizens advice bureau, they might be able to help.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Try the Citizens advice bureau, they might be able to help.
Good idea - if its noted in the deeds, it may be a lost cause, unless all residents get together on it ......
fullofun
New Member!
warwickshire, england
fullofun is female 

06-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Thank you everyone for your quick response to my dilemma!
I did raise the matter (brown to white window frames) at the AGM in March. The Chairman said he would check with lawyer, but so far no response. but an Extraordinary GM has been scheduled for next week (very unusual - normally only have AGM!), so perhaps my enquiry has stirred something! Watch this space ! I did go to CAB, but they were unable to help, apart from suggesting I write a formal letter to Management Committee.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 10:14 AM

Hope the meeting goes well for you - let us know .....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 10:24 AM

I do agree with you Fullofun, brown windows frames really look depressing after a few years, white are about the safest colour over a long period. If you suggest to the management how dreary looking brown can become over time maybe he/she/they will see it your way and let those who want to do them white proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top