Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:02 PM

Re: State pension scandal …

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Many / most of us bought our houses, have property such as jewelry, a car, savings etc. Those things should be liquidated before ANY tax payers money is made available to them.
But ... the unemployed and those on a low income who are drawing supplementary benefits don't have to sell their jewelry or their car or their house.
Yet they have access to education, and health and pensions when they reach retirement age.

Someone who has worked and contributed tax is entitled to the State Pension. It's that simple.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
But ... the unemployed and those on a low income who are drawing supplementary benefits don't have to sell their jewelry or their car or their house.
Yet they have access to education, and health and pensions when they reach retirement age.

Someone who has worked and contributed tax is entitled to the State Pension. It's that simple.
People have NOT contributed anything. They have paid tax, a charge placed on us to fund government programs on a yearly basis.

But that's the point. There should BE no State Age Related Benefit any more.

Same with other "benefits" there should be none until all or certainly most assets have been liquidated.

What we have today is quite simply unaffordable.

This is NOT a TAT wind up. Really. The Welfare State has changed beyond all recognition into a disaster and is expected to deliver a standard of living FAR higher than the work that people do is actually worth. It has become a means of redistribution of wages and that just ain't right.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't know what the situation is in the area where you live Dex, but I'm aware of many young people (Twenties and thirties) where not a single one of them (my daughter, two granddaughters and friends included) ended up doing the job that they were trained and qualified to do at University. My best friends son who gained qualifications in physics at Oxford, is now a professional poker player, and actually runs a successful tutoring website. It would be interesting to see any statistics on just how many students that graduated from university are actually following their chosen course of training.
I take your point about the job that graduates do often has no bearing on what they studied. The question is (and my suggestion is) whether they end up getting better paid jobs purely on the basis that they did an HE course.

On an anecdotal note, I have a degree in pure maths and a post grad certificate in education. Even though I taught maths at GCSE and A level, I have never used any of the things I learnt at Uni at any stage throughout my career; nor has anything we studied on the teacher training course been of any use.

However, I would not have been allowed to become a teacher without getting a degree.

Begs the obvious set of questions!!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Thanks for this, LD....I wasn't aware of it until very recently, which is why I'm complaining that they can't backdate them, or for me to raise my NI contributions to make amends. At least that's what I've been told by the DWP, but I will make further enquiries. It didn't even occur to me to apply at the time because a) I was ill, and b) Mr P has a full time job. I'm going to look into this again because it isn't fair for when I reach retirement age.
As well as looking into the whole thing, also write to your MP. I accepted early retirement at 60 due to health issues and I received state benefit (sick pay?) until I was 65 which was on top of the early released index linked occupational pension. I was also able to claim a decent lump sum early too. Just because you didn't know you could claim NI credits, someone somewhere should have advised you, so go after them too. Leve no stone undisturbed in your quest!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:37 PM

TAT, I understand your point about releasing equity in order to finance one's retirement costs.

But how would this incentivise people to work hard and buy and maintain a house if they then, in effect, have to hand all the cash back?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Been there and struggled when first married . Talk about counting the pennies we counting the farthings So I have a good idea of what it is like. we spent 2 hours arguing if we could afford a copper bottom milk pan costing 50 pence old money in a winter sale.
To remind me of those time I still have it hanging up in my workshop

it doesn't hurt to be remided of how married life started out
I think you will find a lot of people struggled when they first got married RS ..... we did. We saved up for a bed, no other furniture.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
TAT, I understand your point about releasing equity in order to finance one's retirement costs.

But how would this incentivise people to work hard and buy and maintain a house if they then, in effect, have to hand all the cash back?
It is indeed a quandary, if I was in a closer to normal position then my motivation in buying a house would be to deed it to my son based on something like the legislation where transfer of a property to an immediate family member if done at least seven years before snuffing it removed it from being considered for inheritance tax assessment. Same sort of thing could apply.

Whatever is done, and something's are going to HAVE to be done will come with difficulties and upset but in the words of arguably the best prime minister this country has ever had --- "There is no alternative".
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:52 PM

People have NOT contributed anything. They have paid tax, a charge placed on us to fund government programs on a yearly basis.

But that's the point. There should BE no State Age Related Benefit any more.

Same with other "benefits" there should be none until all or certainly most assets have been liquidated.

What we have today is quite simply unaffordable.

This is NOT a TAT wind up. Really. The Welfare State has changed beyond all recognition into a disaster and is expected to deliver a standard of living FAR higher than the work that people do is actually worth. It has become a means of redistribution of wages and that just ain't right.
If that's how you feel .... and that's not to say there isn't some truth in what you say most people would expect immigrants to take the first hit instead of them swanning over here and getting an instant handout.
Not to mention the malingering unemployed.

I wonder what you think of Sunak's 80% Covid furlough scheme.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

23-06-2021, 11:08 PM

It is indeed a quandary, if I was in a closer to normal position then my motivation in buying a house would be to deed it to my son based on something like the legislation where transfer of a property to an immediate family member if done at least seven years before snuffing it removed it from being considered for inheritance tax assessment. Same sort of thing could apply.

Whatever is done, and something's are going to HAVE to be done will come with difficulties and upset but in the words of arguably the best prime minister this country has ever had --- "There is no alternative".
The 7 year rule may be worth considering. As you know, it acts on a 1/7th pa reduction (I assume it's actually pro rata on a daily basis) on the amount of potential inheritance tax your beneficiaries would be liable for.

As for your political point, I doubt that any politician or main stream political party would be willing to perform the hari-kari act to make the shift in welfare policy you allude to. Apart from anything else, they would have to effectively hand their own personal assets back to the state upon retirement.

(Bit of a whiff of communism there?!)
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

23-06-2021, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
If that's how you feel .... and that's not to say there isn't some truth in what you say most people would expect immigrants to take the first hit instead of them swanning over here and getting an instant handout.
Not to mention the malingering unemployed.

I wonder what you think of Sunak's 80% Covid furlough scheme.
Morti, I fear you ain't going to like TAT's response. You'd know his feelings if you frequented certain other parts of the forum!

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top