Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 12:00 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
77 was good, on the face of it, it didn't take too much processing power, just plain logic, based on the second class weather, and the gut.
Ah started 'life in HK' wot an adventure - chipsticks at dawn and Jackie Chan! Kung Hei Fat Choi
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 01:11 AM

finally found the "lost songs of St Kilda" shettie will be pleased!

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

08-03-2019, 06:55 AM

A story of prodigal returns and more fond farewells!

We returned from HK to sad old blighty back in the glorious summer of 1980 with mixed feelings. We were dollars rich and capital power and didn’t know what our next move would be. BUT we still had good friends.

We had wanted to claim another ‘term of service’ in good old honkers but had been refused. The dreaded ‘localization policy’ reared its ugly head. My cockney compatriot who served with me for two and a half years had left a few months earlier and I had bade a fond farewell to him at our last of numerous HK farewells. We winkled out the one and only mid- eastern restaurant in the whole of honkers and ate sheeps eyes to the sounds of banging tambourines and whirling dervishers!

Oh wot heady days of yore? My own numerous HK farewell parties were to come six months later!

And so it was that we arrived back to the glorious summer of ’80’s. The summer rays seemed to soften the pain of return – or was that the whiskey and brandy snaps?
My MIL still remained close by so the kids elected to stay with her a while and I and the young wifie stayed with close friends and their toddler daughter No 1. We taught them the art of outdoor barbecuing, a HK past-time we had grown accustomed to? And so with our meagre assortment of belongings on the high seas we sat on deck-chairs and dreamed of fonder things! Tbc.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 11:13 AM

My last day in Gibraltar.
I will post some more photos on my photo thread. I will post what I got up to on my return.
I love your stories Gummy. X
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Boys oh boys, those were the days alright. Nice recollections there Gummy.

Meanwhile back in 1980 there was a whole new generation of greed induced young people emerging, the dreaded Yuppies.

I suppose all the Yuppie bright young things will be in their late 50’s and early sixties now, cranky old shites most of them turned out to be, having fecked up the world with their filofax’s and their “greed is good” philosophy, stamping on heads to get to the top, they found out to their dismay that the ones already at the tip of the heap didn’t want a belt of them, yes there are quite a few disillusioned old yuppies around today, so wrapped up in themselves back in their heydays that they missed all the good stuff of being young and carefree.
God love them, me heart bleeds to think of the poor unfortunates. Strange how they don’t hold reunions for old Yuppies, they all keep very quiet about their Yuppie days.
Could you imagine the horror of having to admit to your grandkids that you were once a Yuppie?
Imagine looking into their innocent young eyes and saying with tears in your eyes “Kids, I have an awful shameful dark secret to tell you before I pass away, God forgive me, but I was a murderer all the time”
“There there now grandad, don’t cry, it could have been worse, you could have been a Yuppie”

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

08-03-2019, 03:58 PM

must have missed the yuppies as I entered OZ in their summer of 1981 - jan- march - roasting hot weather. left UK snowbound and iced up and hit a burning tarmac in OZ! - never really met yuppie everyone out here were in shorts; thongs and sometimes a tee shirt - and that was to church!!

I did chance upon some yuppies later in the aircon offices but once out off came the ties and jackets!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 09:14 PM

YAWWWNN.....I mean,Oh,REALLY? Cor,HOW jolly interesting!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 11:11 PM

Such things happen, it is up to the individual to decode if the yawn is due to tiredness or disrespect.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

08-03-2019, 11:39 PM

in shetties case it's something called 'lock jaw' - he's totally dis-jointed; disillusioned and dis-membered! otherwise he's doing fine - BUT we'll probably get a full medical report soon which could take hrs and hrs and ow ow ow!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 11:43 PM

Ok, just noted that in my Filofax.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top