Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Re: Home Insulation

Forgive me for coming in late to this discussion. The council in area where I live (Banff & Buchan) offered all residents free loft & wall insulation earlier this year. Genuine offer, but too many strings attached.

Firstly, having renovated the house myself, I had added 12" (300 mm) of insulation to the loft. B&Q were virtually giving it away - and I got my 10% discount too! So, it only cost me about £30.

However, some neighbours who needed insulation couldn't get it fitted because apparently "there was not enough headroom in the loft". Hmmmm.

Now, as to the walls - my house does not have cavity walls. It has stone walls about 30"" thick in places, and an inner stud wall. These houses were not covered by the scheme, but I have largely insulated the walls with 'Kingspan' and a double skin of OSB and plasterboard.

The other thing that I quickly learned was the absolute need to preserve the ventillation. Some vents had been blocked and damp was apparent in places. Once the vents were cleared and the airflow sorted, everything was fine.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Hi everyone

I just thought I'd share this with you all, just in case you aren't aware of it.

On Friday morning I had a surveyor come to my house to check on my loft insulation.

I'll cut a long story short but, apparently I only have 2" of loft insulation and the surveyor told me that the government will pay for me to have 8" in order that I might save on fuel and keep my house warmer.

He then mentioned cavity wall insulation, which I didn't have, so he said I could have that also, for free.

Then he asked how old my central heating boiler was and, if it was more than 10 years old, that could also be replaced, for free. My CH boiler was installed in 1984!

This is not a scam. The government is putting up £140 million for people to upgrade their homes in order to save fuel costs throughout the UK. You don't have to be a senior citizen but this is for anybody!

For anyone in the Lancashire or Greater Manchester area I can give you my surveyor's mobile number if you're interested, but you'll have to PM me for that. Outside these areas I'll be happy to put a link on here for you to contact them.

This is absolutely genuine as I've checked the website and I've read all the small print on the paperwork. In fact, this is something to do with the carbon footprint and, without being certificated, the sale of a house would be more difficult to achieve in the future.
I had it done 3 yrs ago and this year they said the government had increased the grant to allow 70% of a boarded loft to be extra insulated. The boiler is a condensing boiler and you had then (don't know if it's altered) 5 rads. Cost nothing.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Well thats all you want isnit, warm when you need it, I have heard that about cavity walls before and its not healthy to be too warm, I often have to stand at the back door to breathe because the heating is on but thats just me, not being funny Mollie.This rain we have had most of the summer has made the house feel damp, the front is fine its just the bedrooms at the back , must put the thing on that draws the damp out of the room on tomorrow, cant remember what its called,it draws the damp air in and it turns to water.
No lass, I know you're not being funny. I don't think I've ever walked around this house in just a T-shirt, except when it's been exceptionally hot in summer (?) because I do feel the cold very quickly.

Blimey, I can't remember what one of those are called either. It'll come to me eventually.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Forgive me for coming in late to this discussion. The council in area where I live (Banff & Buchan) offered all residents free loft & wall insulation earlier this year. Genuine offer, but too many strings attached.

Firstly, having renovated the house myself, I had added 12" (300 mm) of insulation to the loft. B&Q were virtually giving it away - and I got my 10% discount too! So, it only cost me about £30.

However, some neighbours who needed insulation couldn't get it fitted because apparently "there was not enough headroom in the loft". Hmmmm.

Now, as to the walls - my house does not have cavity walls. It has stone walls about 30"" thick in places, and an inner stud wall. These houses were not covered by the scheme, but I have largely insulated the walls with 'Kingspan' and a double skin of OSB and plasterboard.

The other thing that I quickly learned was the absolute need to preserve the ventillation. Some vents had been blocked and damp was apparent in places. Once the vents were cleared and the airflow sorted, everything was fine.
No need to apologise Grumblewagon. (What a wonderful name). Just jump in any time, any place, anywhere, and I'll have a Martini.

I've been reading about the renovations to your house and it sounds as if you're more or less sorted now, and that's great.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

24-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
I had it done 3 yrs ago and this year they said the government had increased the grant to allow 70% of a boarded loft to be extra insulated. The boiler is a condensing boiler and you had then (don't know if it's altered) 5 rads. Cost nothing.
Thanks for that information, Hazel. The surveyor who came did actually mention a new boiler, but hasn't done since. I'll ask him about it next time I see him.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Thanks for that information, Hazel. The surveyor who came did actually mention a new boiler, but hasn't done since. I'll ask him about it next time I see him.
yes new central heating if non installed already or new boiler if old,mine's an Ideal condensing boiler, loft insilation and cavity wall insulation with new air bricks. My house is as warm as toast and my heating bills are lower than next door who have no heating or insulation and their house is freezing in winter.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

24-08-2012, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
yes new central heating if non installed already or new boiler if old,mine's an Ideal condensing boiler, loft insilation and cavity wall insulation with new air bricks. My house is as warm as toast and my heating bills are lower than next door who have no heating or insulation and their house is freezing in winter.
Again, thanks for that Hazel. I must remember to mention the new boiler. My central heating was fitted in or around 1984 and bless that old boiler but ..... fingers crossed/touch wood. I only started to have it serviced a couple of years ago and no new parts have been needed, but I think the poor old girl's struggling now and if that goes, I'll be back to square one because I definitely can't afford a new boiler.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2012, 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=anniemuldoon;210706 , must put the thing on that draws the damp out of the room on tomorrow, cant remember what its called,it draws the damp air in and it turns to water.[/QUOTE]

That would be a dehumidifier
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

24-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
That would be a dehumidifier
Bless yer darlin' heart! I've been racking me brains trying to think what one of those was! I's't be able to sleep tonight now!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 06:19 AM

My roof was insulated free under the Federal governments scheme last year. It is great in summer because it keeps the house much cooler BUT now that it is winter the house is too cold.

The sun on the roof used to keep the house nice and warm in winter but now that just doesn't happen and it is often colder in the house than outside. I have had to turn the heater on a couple of times this winter just to warm the rooms up after a particularly cold night.

Can't win 'em all.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top