Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2012, 06:12 PM

Re: Hello from Sri Lanka!

We stayed at Browns Beach Hotel, Negombo, Sri Lanka (All Inclusive) and we enjoyed our stay.

It might not be open at the present time as it is undergoing a massive re-furbishment.

Sri Lanka is well worth a visit but I would recommend that you book all inclusive if possible..

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2012, 08:09 PM

Hi Ania you lucky person give a though to all of us freezing here and have a lovely time...
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2012, 10:20 PM

Oh you lucky thing, I loved Sri Lanka, had a great time there. We stayed at a lovely little hotel in Beruwala and had the most brilliant Christmas and New Year. We visited the botanical gardens in Candy and went on a safari to Yala national park, we hired a car and a driver and went all over the place. One of the most memorable holidays ever.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 03:25 AM

As I'm only here for 6 days I've decided not to try to do much. It takes a long time to get anywhere here, and I'd rather spend my money on the food than a car and driver. But I suspect I'll be back sometime.
For now I'm happy observing local life, watching fishermen, and stuffing my face with lots of yummy food
Not one for all inclusive, as it removes any incentive to try elsewhere, and I like a bit of variety. But to each his own.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 10:53 AM

We had gone "all inclusive" as we have done in the past in a couple of other countries. However I am not a big fan of "all inclusive", I'm not a big eater, I don't drink, well only juice and water and apart from dinner at night we were rarely in the hotel, sometimes not even at night if we had gone on a tour elsewhere, but sometimes it is for convenience and ease.

The trouble with all inclusive hotels is that they take away a living from local people who rely on tourists to make some kind of living. Having lived in Kenya and seeing the effects on local people as more and more hotels went all inclusive and watching local bars, restaurants and shops close down I think it is such a shame that there are now virtually no hotels that are not all inclusive. Tour operators like to tell tourists it is not safe to leave the hotel complexes, it is not safe to book their trips outside the complexes etc etc, it's really sad and really quite untrue. Of course you have to be careful but then you have to be careful whatever country you are in, including UK. We've had some wonderful holidays around the world and been to some very strange places, sure we've had a few worrying moments but we are still here and still in contact with the many friends we've made around the world. It's all been experience.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 11:10 AM

I've never been "all inclusive" as it's part of our holiday to try different places to eat. Also, although I like a drink, I'm not a big drinker neither is Sheila so I doubt we'd get our money's worth.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 02:27 PM

There's something a bit surreal about sitting in Sri Lanka and getting a text message to confirm your date for surgery in Ireland...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
There's something a bit surreal about sitting in Sri Lanka and getting a text message to confirm your date for surgery in Ireland...
Happened to me too Ania darlin' in September last year - got a date to be admitted to hospital for Hip revision replacement and was in hospital over Xmas last year.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

07-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Well it has rained a lot the past couple of days, but that's ok. I love torrential tropical downpours. One more day to go and then back to the knife...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Well it has rained a lot the past couple of days, but that's ok. I love torrential tropical downpours. One more day to go and then back to the knife...
Enjoy your last day there, Ania!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top