Join for free
Page 18 of 20 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 09:51 PM

Re: Non EU countries

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
I agree, but based on such referendum you want to leave the EU. According on your opinion of referenda that in not gonna work!
I voted remain so no I don't think the referendum worked out too well. But looking at the situation it didn't work out well for leave voters either or the Eu.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You do realise that democracy is a liberal concept don't you...? By their very nature democratic decisions aren't set in stone for ever. We have general elections every few years because people change their mind once they see what circus they really voted for. Brexit is no different.
Excellent.

So, if Compo should get in next time, we can complain, whinge, protest and riot, and get him out within a week or two.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 10:02 PM

If brexit is not different, a second referendum on leaving the EU is a possibility? And a different outcome too?
And then, if we vote to leave again, another one, and another and another until the remoaners get their way.

Rather like in Ireland and Denmark!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-10-2018, 10:05 PM

referendums clearly don't work in the UK. I'm sure if we'd had them on capital punishment, gay marriage, fox hunting, etc. we'd be stringing up people from lamp posts like they do in Saudi....
The last one did, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure that a capital punishment referendum would be a good idea.

(I just shoved that last bit in to rile Purl!)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Excellent.

So, if Compo should get in next time, we can complain, whinge, protest and riot, and get him out within a week or two.
Please don't give me nightmares by even suggesting such a thing. He would probably change the rules to turn his election into something more permanent. But under current rules we could vote him out at the next election. So no a referendum result does not have to be forever if you live in a democracy.

But I'm not in favour of us having another referendum on such a complex issue. Joining the EEC was a pretty simple
choice compared to leaving the EU.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 10:29 PM

Do I remember correctly. You did have a referendum on leaving EEC in the mid seventies?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-10-2018, 10:34 PM

Do I remember correctly. You did have a referendum on leaving EEC in the mid seventies?
If you read back in this forum (it may have been a different thread) I'm sure this was mentioned earlier and that, despite the public vote being to leave the EEC, the government didn't like it - so we stayed!

That's our version of 'democracy', a bit like some tin pot African countries!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

02-10-2018, 10:38 PM

The EEC and the EU are completely different beasts. That's why there are so many problems now of course. You don't decide to leave such a complex arrangement without a concrete plan. Unless you're completely inept. It's not like deciding to where to go on holiday or buying a new dress.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-10-2018, 10:53 PM

The EEC and the EU are completely different beasts. That's why there are so many problems now of course. You don't decide to leave such a complex arrangement without a concrete plan. Unless you're completely inept. It's not like deciding to where to go on holiday or buying a new dress.
Call it what you will but, unless I'm mistaken, a referendum regarding continued membership (of whatever name it went under at that time) was to leave.

Yes, the EEC and the EU are indeed completely different beasts.
The former was a free trade organisation; the latter a political dictatorship.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The last one did, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure that a capital punishment referendum would be a good idea.

(I just shoved that last bit in to rile Purl!)
You are such a childish bear of little brain.

I would appreciate you using my correct user name as well.

Page 18 of 20 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top