Join for free
Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 11:36 PM

Re: Non EU countries

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If you read back in this forum (it may have been a different thread) I'm sure this was mentioned earlier and that, despite the public vote being to leave the EEC, the government didn't like it - so we stayed!

That's our version of 'democracy', a bit like some tin pot African countries!
Hurrah for wikipedia. In 1975 some 17 million brits were for staying in the EEC, and 8 million wanted to leave. A two to one outcome in favour for staying in. (65 % actually voted).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Hurrah for wikipedia. In 1975 some 17 million brits were for staying in the EEC, and 8 million wanted to leave. A two to one outcome in favour for staying in. (65 % actually voted).
My apologies; I stand corrected.
My memory must be letting me down, as I thought I'd read something to the contrary elsewhere on this forum. It must have been something other than that referendum.

Nevertheless, it is important to realise that the 1975 referendum was regarding membership of the EEC, and that organisation was a different kettle of fish to what we have now: the EU.

As I have said before, many times, I personally would be very happy to be a member of the EEC, or another organisation of the same type - a free-trade organisation.

I am certainly not happy to be a member of the EU - a political dictatorship in which the governing body (the one that makes all the laws and regulations), the Commission, is composed of 28 members of which we Brits elect but one. Is that fair when we are the second highest financial contributor to the coffers?

I'd much prefer to be governed by a body of 650 of which we elect all of them!
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My apologies; I stand corrected.
My memory must be letting me down, as I thought I'd read something to the contrary elsewhere on this forum. It must have been something other than that referendum.

Nevertheless, it is important to realise that the 1975 referendum was regarding membership of the EEC, and that organisation was a different kettle of fish to what we have now: the EU.

As I have said before, many times, I personally would be very happy to be a member of the EEC, or another organisation of the same type - a free-trade organisation.

I am certainly not happy to be a member of the EU - a political dictatorship in which the governing body (the one that makes all the laws and regulations), the Commission, is composed of 28 members of which we Brits elect but one. Is that fair when we are the second highest financial contributor to the coffers?

I'd much prefer to be governed by a body of 650 of which we elect all of them!
https://fullfact.org/europe/how-eu-works-who-runs-eu/

This is how it works and not how your nonsense in bold suggests.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
https://fullfact.org/europe/how-eu-works-who-runs-eu/

This is how it works and not how your nonsense in bold suggests.
Hi

Nope, that is how it is supposed to work.

The practice is very different, Verhofstadt and Juncker run it according to their own agendas.

There is little practical oversight, which explains why Luxembourg gets away with murder when it comes to tax evasion.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The practice is very different, Verhofstadt and Juncker run it according to their own agendas.

There is little practical oversight, which explains why Luxembourg gets away with murder when it comes to tax evasion.
Citation needed.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 06:00 PM

Hi

Yep, that's how it works, to think otherwise and to suggest that just 2 people run it, is totally ridiculous.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Yep, that's how it works, to think otherwise and to suggest that just 2 people run it, is totally ridiculous.
Hi

Not ridiculous at all, the power they wield is phenomenal.

No different to Mandleson, who ran Blair.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 07:06 PM

Amazing to think that two menn, from the almost smallest countries, are able to bring all the EU members to their knee, and get the UK on the run.
Almost sounds like the american dream come through in the old home.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

06-10-2018, 09:49 AM

Hi

Really?

Perhaps you should read this to understand how it really works.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eu...rce=reddit.com

You are very quick to attack others.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 11:47 AM

Hi

Really?

Perhaps you should read this to understand how it really works.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eu...rce=reddit.com

You are very quick to attack others.

The Frogs must be very pleased with themselves right now.

I can't wait!

After we have left and the small countries are too afraid to oppose the Franco-German alliance, the German character will prevail and France, too, will come under the jackboot.

They won't be so proud of themselves then.

For God's sake, don't come running to us for help when it happens!

Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top