Join for free
Viscount
SE UK
Viscount is male 

10-07-2012, 12:38 AM

Driving through Europe.

I am thinking of driving to Greece and Cyprus later this month.....it's nothing new, I did it with a boat trailer in 1999, but was much fitter . With the trailer I stuck to the main routes and toll roads. I went down the Rhone valley to Marseilles, along the coast past Monte Carlo. At Genoa I turned north over the mountains and onto the plains. Plain sailing from there down the East side of Italy.....I needed to avoid the Italian mountains (2 litre Honda wit 2 ton boat/trailer)....Brindisi Ferry to Patras.
Took three days which included an overnight on the Ferry, but I was restricted to 60 MPH.
This time I will not have a trailer, so will be able to take a more direct route and it's less than 2,000 miles!

As some of you know, I am clearing out Mother's house ready to sell. A lot of stuff my sister would like in Greece. A car load would be ideal and a lot of the stuff is breakable. Heathrow with 20 kilos wouldn't hack it.

On the expense side, I drive a hybrid Toyota with (they say) 70 MPG.....yeah rite!!!.... but even 55 would be good.
I will just load it up and go!

Got my triangle and yellow jacket, bulbs, headlight masks, and now have to get a breathaliser.

I have GPS on my Android and the car also has built in GPS as backup......I think I will let the GPSes talk to each other.
I am taking a load of cash with me, so bought a small travel safe to keep it in .....sure there are muggers out there.....LOL
I wont be using the safe though.....nowhere to fit and there are loads of hidey holes to spread the cash around.

What I have not done is looked at ways of crossing the Channel and the Adriatic. I decided to avoid the old Yugoslavia, mainly because they tend to prey on foreign drivers , especially if travelling alone!

My options are Portsmouth, Dover, Poole and the Chunnel. In the Adriatic, Ancona, Bari or Brindisi.

I also need ticket flexibility, since one cannot be sure to arrive in time for the Adriatic ferries and need open returns for when I decide to come back.

So can I pick you brains Folks?.......,anybody else done this trip?......anything I have not thought of.....just like to draw on experiences and any helpful advice??????
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Re: Driving through Europe.

no room for me then viscount...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 08:04 AM

That sounds very exciting and ambitious Bob I have had enough of driving by the time I have been to the shops these days.

I hope you have a wonderful time and bring back some pictures for us to share
Viscount
SE UK
Viscount is male 

10-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Sure Dollie....but the spoon is OUT!!!!!!
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 12:01 PM

harrys got that pmsl...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top