Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 09:26 AM

Fence Paint

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice colour and quality fence wood preserver? They had some ronseal medium oak on offer at poundstretcher but while it's nice for shed it is a bit too orange for the fence. All the colours seem a bit garish. There must be something better.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 10:24 AM

Re: Fence Paint

Hi

Ducksback is great stuff, lasts for years.

I am going to be using Forest Green.

I loathe the orange stuff.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 11:20 AM

I wish I could help you but since I live in Canada I don’t think we have the same types of products.

We have a privacy fence that I touched up this year. Part of it was knocked down by a tornado so had to be redone but I used a stain instead of paint.

I prefer stain to paint. Stain doesn’t blister or peel.
We get a brand called Behr but unfortunately you can’t get it where you are.

For some reason the one picture doesn’t want to sit straight.
It’s probably not very helpful but I thought you might perhaps consider a stain.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2FCBE458-0C97-493C-9990-DC9D108AEC5E.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	7570   Click image for larger version

Name:	854E9235-ED01-4B62-88E8-AAD4EF74CA4B.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	7571  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 01:22 PM

Ronseal is certainly a good product but it is difficult to recommend a colour as it's a personal choice. The colours often look different when applied to wood that has previously been stained. Personally, I would go for something darker like dark oak or similar. Of course, eventually, it will all turn grey.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I wish I could help you but since I live in Canada I don’t think we have the same types of products.

We have a privacy fence that I touched up this year. Part of it was knocked down by a tornado so had to be redone but I used a stain instead of paint.

I prefer stain to paint. Stain doesn’t blister or peel.
We get a brand called Behr but unfortunately you can’t get it where you are.

For some reason the one picture doesn’t want to sit straight.
It’s probably not very helpful but I thought you might perhaps consider a stain.

That's a lovely colour Bratti. Nice quality trellis too.

I think you must have more choice where you are. We have a few dominant brands and they must have squeezed the niche brands out. Paint in general has become really expensive recently.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-10-2018, 10:32 AM

Thanks all for your suggestions. I've gone for Swim's recommendation of Cuprinol Ducksback and a colour of "Harvest brown" which is a nice non-orange mid brown shade.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks all for your suggestions. I've gone for Swim's recommendation of Cuprinol Ducksback and a colour of "Harvest brown" which is a nice non-orange mid brown shade.
I do know what you mean about the 'Orange'. I don't like that either.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 11:33 AM

That's a lovely colour Bratti. Nice quality trellis too.

I think you must have more choice where you are. We have a few dominant brands and they must have squeezed the niche brands out. Paint in general has become really expensive recently.
Thanks Annie. I quite like the colour also.I stained my greenhoUse the same colour so they match.
We do have quite a large selection over here for paints and stains but it IS expensive here also.
Harvest Brown sounds like a lovely non orange colour
I’m glad you found something suitable. It is a big consideration .
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I do know what you mean about the 'Orange'. I don't like that either.
Me either.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 12:50 PM

We used Red Cedar. Available from most DIY stores. We got ours at B&M for a fiver for a 5 liter container.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 02:27 PM

I used ronseal a nice blue it was in the tin but much paler on the fence, and another tin of green for our decking. It was easy to apply and dried reasonably quickly which was good for the decking as that's our only way out of the caravan.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top