Join for free
Page 255 of 370 « First < 155 205 245 253 254 255 256 257 265 305 355 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 04:46 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

ST and Realspeed, I'm genuinely thrilled to hear about your fitness pursuits - right down to knocking down a tree or two.

The rest of you have put me to shame since the end of November, but now finally home, I am dusting off all of my cobwebs - along with the Tin Man's oil - can, to get moving again. Your posts make for good reading and inspiration. Great work all around!

I've peppered the weeks with enough running not to be starting completely from scratch, but I'm not expecting to make the Olympic trial thresholds either. No cowardly lion am I.

Dorothy has it right, there is no place like home, but those ruby slippers just won't do the trick on the running trails....four miles, you think?

I'll let you know...

(But send out the troops if I don't return by morning )
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Hello Dare I say it, I'm back to normal!
So apart from the regular stretching which helped to get my back sorted at last, I'm running upstairs...
And yesterday walked 3-4 miles with my walking group

I know it's diddly squat compared with you lot!
That's wonderful news! Isn't it strange how one day one's back is just better?

That's a phenomenal distance for just starting back....with a healthy back ... before getting back to normal.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 12:42 AM

Walked around Hastings sea front today and so far no problem the the leg/hip that ached before. So fingers crossed the exercise is easing it up
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Unfortunately after two heart attacks the best bits are behind me now Bratti....
The only other shores I have visited during my career have been the Isle of Man in the Irish sea where I ran the marathon there and managed 14th place. Rather an anti climax though because there were only 63 competitors taking part....

I suppose one of the most beautiful scenic places was North Wales while taking part in the Snowdon Marathon....Such a beautiful country and one of the few places I would possibly relocate to....

The reasons I run/jog are because I've always found it easier to do than most people, with hills being my speciality. These days I do it because I love running and the freedom and tranquility of a lonely trail. To be at one with nature and leave any worries behind at the door....And I still get such a buzz after forty years...
Goodness, two heart attacks!
It’s great that you kept running. That’s definitely good for the heart. The marathons you mentioned sound like very memorable experiences but your reasoning for running are the exact same ones why I love my long walks with my dogs. It’s a humbling experience being in solitude with nature. There is a type of beautiful silent communication that’s so comforting.
I get that same natural buzz you speak of.
Very cool.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Went along to my walking group this morning...blue sky bright sun no excuse!
Longer than usual, around 4 miles I think.
Came on home, didn't go back to the cafe for coffee, now collapsed at home, feet up with large coffee!
4 miles is really good ruthio. Good for you in joining a walking group
Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Walked around Hastings sea front today and so far no problem the the leg/hip that ached before. So fingers crossed the exercise is easing it up
This is great news realspeed. It looks like you are creating your own physio therapy that’s working. Good for you.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 03:26 AM

Thought I'd make an appearance...

Great to read about your various exploits and adventures as always. This thread is bursting with life at the moment. It's a well-attended thread anyway but now everyone's joining in with such a vast array of exercise routines, we're simply buzzing in here! Realspeed especially...leaps and bounds there matey!

I'm probably the only one letting the side down right now, but as always it's time with me.
I mentioned briefly in Thursday's Good Morning thread that my stepdaughter has finally got the keys to her new house and I've started to move a lot of her furniture, appliances and personal things from mine where they have been in storage to her new home. That's keeping me fit as it is - a huge sofa, beds, fridge freezers, all in the back of my car to and fro up the road and trying to manoeuvre the sharp and tight angles of her place. It's not just strength at stake, it's having the ability to figure out the logistics of fitting everything in too!

I will also have some work to do altering some of the fittings that this bodge job of a renovation has gone through to satisfy the landlord's quick rental aims: Worktops too low in the kitchen, a lick of pain here and there, the garden is a mess...etc etc. Hopefully today (Friday) I'll get a lot of things sorted out and leave at least a couple of hours for myself to get a decent long workout in - some new "tension training" exercises on the arms and chest are planned next time I visit the House of Iron.

I must say though that this training suits me just fine. It's extremely difficult to sustain that pause position, but my legs have especially seen some great progress. It's like the feeling after a good workout when you get pumped up. That state usually disappears after a few hours and re-grows the muscles over a few days, but my efforts are actually remaining as they are following each workout, which is quite strange but very pleasing. To retain that extra built-up muscle size without it disappearing is a new weird phenomenon and I'll be taking advantage of this method of training as long as I can bear the pain!

Keep it going folks. It's sometimes difficult to get motivated to get up from our sofas or maybe think we don't feel up to it, but get out there, start doing our thing and we are in our element. Can't beat it!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 11:46 AM

A good read Floydy, I can sympathise with you helping your daughter with her moving. A few years ago my daughter moved into a rented house after the previous tenants had been evicted, lots of work to do humping [Lifting for any American/Canadian readers] cleaning and painting. Not to mention sorting out the electrics.....

You mention how good you felt after training using the 'Pause Position' Floydy, would that be the same as 'Dynamic Tension' I used to read about when I was dabbling with the weights?

That's good walking Realspeed and there are some beautiful walks down in your neck of the woods. I have often thought about doing the coast path and South Downs Way in bite size chunks, but thinking is about as far as I've got so far.....Perhaps this year....Keep up the good work.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 11:55 AM

Bratti, I did a bit of a write up after my first heart attack and I thought you might like to read it. Some members have already seen it and to those I apologise. But if you need something to help you to sleep I think this might fit the bill.....There is some more if you feel up to it.....

My Life in Bits - Part 1 – Black Sunday
I pulled hard on my cigarette, I could feel the effect of the smoke on my lungs, I could taste the tobacco in my nostrils, it made me go slightly light headed. A smoke after a run was like your first ever cigarette, ecstasy. I sipped on a half pint glass of water but I wasn’t all that thirsty, I had taken water with me on my local 13 mile run on quiet country roads, past farmhouses and growing fields of corn and barley. The early morning weather was perfect for long distance running, cloudy and not too hot and not too cold.
It was Sunday 30th May 2004, a day that I will never forget, because as I stood in the kitchen looking out of the window I began to feel more than light headed. My legs were turning to rubber and unable to support my weight, I was seeing things in black and white and my face became cold. I reached for a chair before I fell, and flopped down, sweat ran off my forehead like a running tap as I leaned forward with my elbows on my knees. It began to pass, and I could once again see in colour, Sue’s voice echoed into my head from the end of a long tunnel “are you alright Rob?” she asked “Yes” I replied, “low blood sugar.” Sometimes after a hard run it’s possible to pass out as blood sugar drops to an all time low. I rose from my chair but the feeling returned, Sue was getting concerned, but I assured her if I could just lay flat on the floor it would pass. As I lay face up on the lounge carpet I could hear Sue on the phone to our daughter, I felt a great weight pressing down on my chest, and after every breath out it seemed impossible to breathe in. My left arm and hand were becoming numb, and a darkness began to descend, the last words I heard were, “I’m going to have to go now Marie, your Dad is having a heart attack”!

How had it come to this? What had gone so horribly wrong? I was so fit. The heart attack had come as some surprise to everybody who knew me, but the biggest surprise, or should I say shock, was to me. I had been a runner for 26 years, since 1978. I was working in an engineering factory at the time, and one of my friends was getting married at the weekend, we thought it best to have his bachelor night on the Thursday before. Wise choice, because the next morning only five people turned in for work out of twenty. Paracetamol and Alka Selzer was the preferred breakfast. Robert Patterson, one of the survivors, used to go out jogging occasionally and suggested that I might try jogging when I got home to remove the stubborn headache that had blighted me all day. It would require some consideration, only after I had exhausted some other, perhaps less energetic solutions. I arrived home later that day and announced to my amused daughter and wife that I would indeed go for a jog. I laced on some old plimsolls, baggy bottoms and a Mallorca tee shirt, and on Friday 28th July 1978 I took my first ever serious run. I jogged up the street to the lane, and after making sure there would be no witnesses, or dog walkers, as they are sometimes known, I injected a turn of speed Seb Coe would have been proud of. It lasted for about 400 yards when my way was barred by a railway crossing gate, I clung on to the gate to support my weight, I thought I was going to die, I was struggling to pull large amounts of oxygen into my gasping lungs, my pulse banged in my ears and my throat burned with abuse from a thousand fags. I limped back home and collapsed on the sofa while Sue filled a hot bath. As I submerged my broken body into the warm caressing water, I realised that my headache had gone, not only that, I felt a calmness and contentment that I had never experienced before.

Over the weeks that followed I ran every other day up to that gate, I even continued further down the lane to a large post, which I measured with my car, it was as far as you could get on four wheels, and it came out at just one mile. With Robert Patterson and a couple of other work colleagues we had already completed some good long fell walks, the most notable was The Lyke Wake Walk, 42 miles over the North Yorks Moors from Osmotherly to Ravenscar on 28th June 1980. The Lyke Wake would inspire me to complete further attempts, but more about that later. I had found that just running two miles every other day, greatly enhanced my walking pleasure. It was on one sunny evening after work as I was jogging my usual two miles down the lane, that I met a runner coming in the opposite direction, as I was close to the mile marker I turned and jogged back to the village with him, and we chatted. He told me that he had gone all the way round, and that it was possible to make a circuit up by running to the next village. It would be five miles. It had permeated my sponge like head, and on my next run I successfully navigated the route, after that day in April 1981, I very rarely ran the two mile course again. I joined the Long Distance Walking Association in September 1981, and regularly attended walks they organised.
By the start of 1983 I had successfully completed another three Lyke Wakes, and several other long distance paths. I even had a failed attempt at a Lyke Wake Double, there and back in forty eight hours (84 miles). But my running had up to now, only been used to enhance my walking. That was about to change.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Another five miles of satisfaction this morning as I knocked half a minute off yesterday's time, and the weather is quite extraordinary for this time of year. Birds are singing and the grass is growing and we're off to a new cafe' for lunch....Life just doesn't get any better than this!....BUT.....I've decided that the real work starts in March....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

15-02-2019, 06:57 PM

Helping your step daughter move her biggest items is certainly a workout and I bet she’s pretty happy she has a fit step dad to help her. That’s so sweet. My dad’s never helped me move but my brother has.

Wow Grey Fox,
Great writing skills first off. You explained that really well. It’s a good thing your wife was there and knew what to do. Good for her.
My biggest question now is did you at least quite smoking cigarettes?
That was my biggest surprise reading that. I just could not picture you smoking. I’m sure you probably did. You’re a wise man.

I’m going to the gym this afternoon. Something that’s enhanced my gym experience are a set of good blue tooth head phones. I can then listen to podcasts or my own preference in music which I so enjoy.

Page 255 of 370 « First < 155 205 245 253 254 255 256 257 265 305 355 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top