Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
septimusharding
New Member!
UK
septimusharding is male 

13-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Re: Cracks in Paint............

Alice, what sort of paint did you use when you repainted it? Was it an oil based paint or a water based paint like emulsion or acrylic? How many coats did you give it and most importantly, what preparation did you do?

Once we know this then that will give us a better chance of finding a solution.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with painting lining paper, just make sure it is good quality and about 1200 grade paper and of course correctly hung.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2013, 05:54 PM

I was looking for some of that hard-wearing gloss paint earlier in the year, what was it called? Used to virtually indestructable, don't see it anywhere now., think it was called something with 3 initials.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2013, 06:59 PM

Cant help ya gal - dont like gloss paint - the fumes - the fumes ....
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2013, 07:12 PM

Apologies for the late reply, Robert. I did write one this morning, but must have done something daft, as it doesn't show

I would love to be related to Alice B Toklas - as you say, a fascinating lady. Unfortunately, the 'AliceB of my name relates to the monstrous little madam of my avatar. She's 12, but rules me with an iron paw .

Gwyn
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Secondly, to Septimus...........

The paint was emulsion, put on over yukky brown emulsion. I've painted over lining paper before - no problem, but perhaps an initial brown coat plus my attempts with cream were too much for the quality of the paper. I know nothing about the original decoration as it was carried out by the Housing Trust who own the property!

Gwyn
septimusharding
New Member!
UK
septimusharding is male 

14-07-2013, 10:53 PM

Just wondering, Alice, as it is a kitchen, were the walls greasy and did you wash them before you painted them. If there was grease between the brown and the cream that would cause hairline cracks in the paint because it is not adhering to the surface properly.
AliceB
Cheshire

15-07-2013, 08:12 PM

I confess to not washing them, as the Housing Association had re-vamped the whole place - new kitchen units etc and it looked lovely, apart from the yukky brown walls!

Gwyn
AliceB
Cheshire

27-07-2013, 07:30 PM

I've given up thinking that I could do something myself and called in a friend of mine's son, who is a professional P&D.

I could tell by the expression on his face that it wasn't good news - the paper will have to come off and we've agreed that the next covering will be a blown vinyl of some sort, as the walls aren't exactly smooth and it will hide some of the worst bits.

There are some extremely tricky bits to deal with, such as the space behind the boiler and the top of the wall cupboards - his problem now !!

Thanks to all who replied to my initial post.
Seth
Black Rock Vic. Australia
Seth is male  Seth has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 03:27 AM

Usually cracks come out in a new paint job if the walls have not been washed to remove any greasy handmarks or where rising steam containing grease residue is laying on the surface, or if a quick drying paint is applied over a slow drying paint you get cracking, or what used to be called 'crocodiling'
AliceB
Cheshire

07-09-2013, 11:57 AM

The walls were decorated before we moved in, Seth, so hadn't a chance to get greasy. Your description of 'crocodiling' describes the effect beautifully!

However, come 27 September, I should have a lovely, pristine kitchen!

Thanks for your comments.

Gwyn

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top