Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 07:18 AM

Any Electricians Out There ?

I've just bought a new battery powered electric drill with a 14.4v charger but the plug will not fit into a UK socket as the two pins are too close together. I have a 20v charger with seems to do the job but I wonder if it dangerous to use it.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 07:48 AM

Re: Any Electricians Out There ?

Depends on the make and charger. I have two Bosch drills but the 24V charger will automatically cope with anything from 9.6 to 24V.

It sounds as if you've got a continental lead. You could take it back and ask for a charger with a UK lead, cut off the plug and fit a UK plug (but would invalidate warranty) or buy an adapter.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Depends on the make and charger. I have two Bosch drills but the 24V charger will automatically cope with anything from 9.6 to 24V.

It sounds as if you've got a continental lead. You could take it back and ask for a charger with a UK lead, cut off the plug and fit a UK plug (but would invalidate warranty) or buy an adapter.
Thanks for your advice GW. I've just sent an e-mail to Amazon asking why they don't include an adaptor plug when they sell an electrical item with an incorrect plug, it's just common sense.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Alan, is it made in Europe. Can you not get a European Adaptor like you
get to go on holidays or one for the USA. They are generally only about
£2.99. I used to have one as I took my Travel Kettle abroad with me.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

05-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Alan, is it made in Europe. Can you not get a European Adaptor like you
get to go on holidays or one for the USA. They are generally only about
£2.99. I used to have one as I took my Travel Kettle abroad with me.
I know what you're saying Sandra but it's not that type of plug. It's like a UK plug but the 2 live pins are closer together.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
It's like a UK plug but the 2 live pins are closer together.
Sounds like you have the wrong charger, or at least the wrong charger for the UK. If an adapter doesn't fit, contact Amazon and get the right one.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Alan I would take it back and complain about the plug. It is not 'fit for purpose' .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

05-05-2014, 09:35 AM

I've sent an e-mail to Amazon this morning and I'm hoping they send me an adaptor plug. They should ensure that all electrical appliances sold in the UK are usable in the UK - IMO.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

05-05-2014, 09:53 AM

I've just had a reply from Amazon and they've apologised and offered to either replace the drill or to give me a refund of 20%. I've accepted the latter as it amounts to about £5, more than enough to buy an adaptor plug.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I've just had a reply from Amazon and they've apologised and offered to either replace the drill or to give me a refund of 20%. I've accepted the latter as it amounts to about £5, more than enough to buy an adaptor plug.
Good result Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top