Join for free
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 03:29 PM

Outside Lamps

Wonder if there is anyone who could give me a little advice?
We have two lamps outside the house attached to the wall, this morning one of the shades fell off and smashed, just wondering if it safe to leave it or get a sparkie in to put two new ones up. Thanks
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 04:01 PM

Re: Outside Lamps

Hiya. I would say if the lamp is not under cover from the rain then you need to make sure its switched off till either a replacement shade is fitted or till the lamps are replaced. The fittings could fill up with water and possibly blow a fuse. Are they motion detector lights?
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 04:17 PM

I have a picture of pink frilly shades with bobbly fringes around....bit more detail wouldn´t go amiss! Any outside lighting will have to be waterproof to be safe - without it´s ¨shade¨ (pink or otherwise) this light should be replaced.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Hiya. I would say if the lamp is not under cover from the rain then you need to make sure its switched off till either a replacement shade is fitted or till the lamps are replaced. The fittings could fill up with water and possibly blow a fuse. Are they motion detector lights?
Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
I have a picture of pink frilly shades with bobbly fringes around....bit more detail wouldn´t go amiss! Any outside lighting will have to be waterproof to be safe - without it´s ¨shade¨ (pink or otherwise) this light should be replaced.
a[EZ
The bulb hangs down with a cover over the top, they are not on too much only when it gets a bit dark and I want to guide himself back home.They are not motion detector lights so there is no prob. with that.
Easy, no pink, frilly shades in this gaffe. See what I said to EZ.
Appreciate the help from you both , but it will have to get on with it at the moment as I am off to Brum. tomorrow.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 05:53 PM

If the cover was to stop the rain from getting to the bulb/wiring you should turn off the power source until the light has been repaired or replaced.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

28-01-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
If the cover was to stop the rain from getting to the bulb/wiring you should turn off the power source until the light has been repaired or replaced.
Do you mean switch it off with the light switch?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Do you mean switch it off with the light switch?
I think it would be safer to switch it off at the mains, if it is possible, so that it is disconnected completely from any electrical power.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:25 PM

Replace shade or lamp every time

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top