Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:27 PM

Re: Football players pay rise

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not good ones you can't that is something employers seem to forget, seen plenty of people over the years think anyone can be a cleaner only to find they can't.
That is true, but can you imagine an actual system where workers such as cleaners are paid on merit, where you are paid according to how good you are at the job.
It makes sense but it won't come about as there would be uproar if some were seen to be favoured and getting more money.
The one place where this does happen is where people have their own business and succeed and make money based on how good they are at making the business successful.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
That is true, but can you imagine an actual system where workers such as cleaners are paid on merit, where you are paid according to how good you are at the job.
It makes sense but it won't come about as there would be uproar if some were seen to be favoured and getting more money.
The one place where this does happen is where people have their own business and succeed and make money based on how good they are at making the business successful.
It used to be the case before NMW was brought in cleaners could be paid anything from £2 an hour to £15 an hour I was up there at about £10-£12 an hour better you were more you got. NMW brought us all down to £6.50 an hour. Why do you think the saying where there is muck there is brass came from ? we used to be treated well and could make enough to live on. Not any more now most of us are claiming various benefits to prop up our wages and the bosses are laughing they make so much more profit.

I never understand why people object to cleaners etc getting a fair deal it can only make their own wages more as they are trained etc. Very short sighted and I can only assume they love paying tax so much they want to help our wages by giving us benefits to help us live.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:42 PM

It used to be the case before NMW was brought in cleaners could be paid anything from £2 an hour to £15 an hour I was up there at about £10-£12 an hour better you were more you got. NMW brought us all down to £6.50 an hour. Why do you think the saying where there is muck there is brass came from ? we used to be treated well and could make enough to live on. Not any more now most of us are claiming various benefits to prop up our wages and the bosses are laughing they make so much more profit.

I never understand why people object to cleaners etc getting a fair deal it can only make their own wages more as they are trained etc. Very short sighted and I can only assume they love paying tax so much they want to help our wages by giving us benefits to help us live.
One of the hardest jobs around - all power to that elbow I say, you and many others deserve a very good wage for what you do .....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:48 PM

I work in admin in the nhs and the domestic staff get paid the same rate of pay as me. So there is no difference there.

Our ward domestic works like a trojan and she deserves every penny, if not more. She's the best we've had.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:48 PM

Do you mean the government or the people who pay the wages Julie. If its a company who own large office buildings I suppose they pay what they need to pay to get the building cleaned. The same would apply in airports and shopping centres etc.
if you are working for an individual rather than a large company you can negotiate your rates I presume.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:50 PM

I hate football, so I could never agree with their salaries. I know it's some peoples lifes. Those are the people who probably think they deserve the money they get. Maybe if I was a footie fan then I'd think different
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:54 PM

Do you mean the government or the people who pay the wages Julie. If its a company who own large office buildings I suppose they pay what they need to pay to get the building cleaned. The same would apply in airports and shopping centres etc.
if you are working for an individual rather than a large company you can negotiate your rates I presume.
To be fair the people who own the buildings tend to out source the cleaning they pay a large sum thinking a lot will go on wages and are often shocked when they realise how little the private company they employ pays the cleaners.
I have worked in the private sector and the public sector generally public sector is better paid but less well organised and equipped I have found. No negotiation these days it's if you don't like it there are thousands of Eastern Europeans waiting to take the job who will work for less.
Anita
Midlands, UK

05-05-2015, 02:06 PM

Yes I think that sort of thing happens a lot when jobs are out sourced and the company who pay them are not getting a fair deal either.
I see what you mean about not being able to negotiate, in the end its not what a good job you do, it's hard when a person takes pride in doing a good job. There are people in most jobs who are lazy compared to others they work with, it's very hard to see them being paid the same for doing a lot less.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

05-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Yes I think that sort of thing happens a lot when jobs are out sourced and the company who pay them are not getting a fair deal either.
I see what you mean about not being able to negotiate, in the end its not what a good job you do, it's hard when a person takes pride in doing a good job. There are people in most jobs who are lazy compared to others they work with, it's very hard to see them being paid the same for doing a lot less.
Absolutely heart breaking it is
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

05-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Unless you work for royalty, I can't see domestic staff ever getting a good salary. That's the reality of things from what I know of.

My partner paid his housekeeper £12 an hour, which I thought was very good. It was more than I get

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top