Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 02:28 PM

Re: Catalogue of disasters

Originally Posted by Cass ->
In principle changing a loo is simple. But was the change over like for like ie; exactly the same? I bet it wasn't which means fittings, types, models etc have all changed and the fit wont be exactly the same.

Sorry but that the way it is.

OH and I watch those building progammes on tv the ones where people think they have been ripped off. A classic was the people who had a quote for a new extension with a luxury fitted kitchen for 10 grand.. Seriously? OH nearly died laughing.. You couldnt buy the materials for 10 grand let alone get all the tradesmen in and build it for that price .

Yes there are cowboy builders out there but as Tpin points out often the expectation of the customer is way beyond whats possible or whats paid for..

Easter Rantzen and her lot have a lot to answer for telling people never to pay a deposit and always go for federation or plumbers guild papers, anyone could pay for one of those bits of paper.
Did you know that as the law was (not sure now) once a fitter has installed the items in your home he has no right to reclaim them even if you dont pay? That sent many small firms to the wall when customer refused to pay. Ms Rantzen never once reported on that!
We had a contract that every customer signed that stated all goods and fittings remained the property of the company until fully paid for, customers signed at the start of works and were signed off after full payment.
It was the only way to get some people to pay, although once OH did have to slightly threaten a Croyden laundrette owner and we were paid all in coins from the machines.

Everyone wants things on the cheap cheap but builders and plumbers have the same bills as everyone else so a good tradesman will charge more , its called a living wage.

Do be realistic when looking for a tradesman, do ask for a quote , dont ask for extras (they cost money) do check if rubbish removal is included, do ask if they have insurence and ask to see the certificate , dont expect a miracles on a budget we dont all work like Mr Nick Know it all on SOS.

Offer tea!
+1

I'd like to add "The cowboy customer" that never had or has any intention to pay....has a snag list as long as his/her arm and that's before you even start

Federation of Master Builders, Guild of Master this or that, pah.

@Annie....what were you thinking, allowing a hungover guy to work on a gas installation/fix?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 02:38 PM

That's why they come round to quote for the work and check whether there are any issues which may pose a problem. The company was not what it seemed online and as I was having a stressful week and needed this changing on a particular day when I could work from home, I forgot to ask for a written quote. But what I have noticed with written quotes is that often they are not itemised.

The really stressful thing was the delivery of damaged goods (both pan and cistern) from a large online retailer. It's taken 3 weeks to get them to collect the items and issue a refund.

The loo is now fine but it was very hard work and I will never use that particular review site again.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
+1

I'd like to add "The cowboy customer" that never had or has any intention to pay....has a snag list as long as his/her arm and that's before you even start

Federation of Master Builders, Guild of Master this or that, pah.

@Annie....what were you thinking, allowing a hungover guy to work on a gas installation/fix?
Or the ones who ignore your advice and then blame you when the s*** hits the fan.

Mr Naylor who wanted his boiler serviced, it was done and OH pointed out the boiler was badly scaled up and needed proper cleaning. On the invoice I added * customer has been advised that the boiler is badly scaled up and needs de-scaling as a matter of urgency. The customer should schedule a date for cleaning with us or another company of his choice ASAP *

Mr Naylor paid his bill but ignored our advice until about 3 months later when I got a call from him late one evening. He told me the boiler had burst and the fire brigade were there wanting to know who the hell had left his boiler in that state..OH went down, copy of invoice in hand , showed it to the fire officer who turned to customer and told him 'youre a di** head you were warned'
Mr Naylor then phoned again and asked if I could provide a copy of the invoice without the warning so that he could claim from his house insurence...
two letter answer NO

Later on phone call from Mr Naylor he had had part payment from the insurence and a new boiler. He wanted OH to come and fit it ! Talk about cheek
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 03:20 PM

I don't think he would have taken too kindly to being breathalised. He had a club stamp on one hand and i had the feeling he had rolled out of a bed that was not his own after an energetic night of passion. His colleague who came over to finish the job the next day was lovely and very fit and very much awake.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't think he would have taken too kindly to being breathalised. He had a club stamp on one hand and i had the feeling he had rolled out of a bed that was not his own after an energetic night of passion. His colleague who came over to finish the job the next day was lovely and very fit and very much awake.
So, was he hungover or not?

Are you guessing he was hungover? if so that's quite an accusation without foundation.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

01-07-2017, 03:41 PM

I'd also like to warn anyone considering the use of Check a trade.com.

DON'T until you've checked out these online sites.

They're useless and often the reviews are made up.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 04:56 PM

I'd also like to warn anyone considering the use of Check a trade.com.

DON'T until you've checked out these online sites.

They're useless and often the reviews are made up.
I would agree with you there Tpin. Most of them are on the site because they have no work. Despite the experiences mentioned above, word of mouth is still the best way.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Hi Longdogs, yes that's exactly what I was having done. I'm sure it was more than 50mm, he had a wooden spacer block he was planning to fit and it would have meant a big gap which you couldn't fill with tiles. But he managed to fit it to flush the wall simply by removing the additional pan connector which extended the space between the old loo and the wall and slotting the new loo into the original pan connector. So now it looks like this and it's working fine (caution contains graphic content!) :
Ha ha! I have seen more of those than I care to mention....and the contents.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 05:20 PM

Well I guess we were really lucky, the builders we got to do our bathroom made a superb job, did everything we asked of them, but they weren't cheap, but there was a lot of labour involved , removing old bath and shower, removing and refitting toilet and vanity unit, and having to replaster the wall as it was in poor state when they removed the tiles, the bathroom window had to be made smaller, and a new ( smaller) window fitted, all the mess was removed daily, ( we were away at the time but my wife's aunt and uncle, who were making sure the house was OK, told us this) the invoice was paid as soon as we received it, we would definitely recommend, and use them again
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-07-2017, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Well I guess we were really lucky, the builders we got to do our bathroom made a superb job, did everything we asked of them, but they weren't cheap, but there was a lot of labour involved , removing old bath and shower, removing and refitting toilet and vanity unit, and having to replaster the wall as it was in poor state when they removed the tiles, the bathroom window had to be made smaller, and a new ( smaller) window fitted, all the mess was removed daily, ( we were away at the time but my wife's aunt and uncle, who were making sure the house was OK, told us this) the invoice was paid as soon as we received it, we would definitely recommend, and use them again
I had some like this too Primus and they made a beautiful job of the bathroom 9 years ago without any need for discussion. It still looks good as new. This was the company my neighbour used but unfortunately the manager got ill with back problems, wound up the company and left the country.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top