Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 12:26 PM

Re: Are DVDs on the way out?

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I hope DVD players won't be fazed out. I've just bought a new one & in time I would like to replace it. I have hundreds of DVD films.
I'm sure you will be OK for a while yet Tiffany but it might be worth buying a replacement in a few years time.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Was thinking of buying a new lap top but none had a port for playing DVDs.

With W10 you cannot play any DVDs as windows does not support them.

But fear not download VLC which will play your DVD still does and if you still have a port for a DVD player ALSO you can buy a DVD player to plug into your computor if it does not have one.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Was thinking of buying a new lap top but none had a port for playing DVDs.

With W10 you cannot play any DVDs as windows does not support them.

But fear not download VCL which will play your DVD still does and if you still have a port for a DVD player ALSO you can buy a DVD player to plug into your computor if it does not have one.
Wow! I didn't know that.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 01:09 PM

explains it a bit better than I did.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2953...-for-free.html
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
John Lewis announced yesterday that they will not be replacing their stock of DVD players when their current stock is sold. This is due to the rise in available streaming services.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45950477

Do you think other retailers will follow their example and is it the beginning of the end for the DVD?

DVD players maybe.
DVDs, I think not for a while yet.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 02:53 PM

I'll be using DVDs for a long time yet. We do have a Firestick as well as Netflix via Virgin Media though, which get used quite a bit these days. I can watch them on my Android tablet and even my phone if I wanted to, but rarely do.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
They've been on the way out for years now, Blu ray too. It's so much more convenient to simply stream a film.
Assuming one has the facility to do that.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 04:58 PM

I'm still buying DVDs regularly, in fact I received five in the post this morning.
With me it's because of my night shift working hours. I wouldn't have the time for Sky, Netflix or anything else and watching TV isn't my prerogative or a priority in the short three hours per day I have spare to myself. I would be wasting my money too on all those subscriptions.

If an old film takes my fancy I get it from Amazon second-hand which costs me no more than the cost of a pint. That is my Friday night viewing sorted out and I'm happy.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 05:03 PM

A DVD is merely a storage medium, nothing more.

The real question then is "are consumers likely to abandon totally the concept of storing content on some form storage media?"

I'd say NO.

But then I'm an older experienced member of society who sees the blatant con being perpetrated on naïve youngsters who pay handsomely for "events" rather than for actual "things" that can be held/kept.

Thus I don't pay anyone money to simply listen to a piece of music (excepting live concerts, performances etc).

I will only pay for an actual recording of music in whatever form. Something I can hold. Something I can actually own. Something I can re-use indefinitely and if I wish, pass onto someone else.

In the world of films and TV series, the DVD represents a storage medium on which I can hold a copy of the film. It is then mine to re-use as I see fit.

I don't mind at all if that medium changes to something newer, more modern but the criteria will always be that:

1) I own that media
2) I can use it indefinitely
3) I can own the software or device that will play the content

The greedy industry is hell bent on selling people "events" or intangible things. That's because "vapourware" as I call it, costs them nothing.

Take books for example.

We all loved the freedom of owning a book. Being able to pick it up at any time. Lend it to friends and so on.

Now many of us buy e-Books for use on e-Readers like Kindles and Kobo's. Here we don't have a physical thing, we simply have a software copy of a book which requires some form of other software application or device to read it.

Therein lies a problem. It's certainly not the same as a book. The book "file", e.g. for Amazon Kindles the *.azw file is a digitally encoded thing. It is wrapped up with something called DRM (Digital Rights Management) which stops you from giving it to someone else to use on their Kindle.

I don't agree with DRM for a number of reasons (none of which are to do with pirating content) and thus I use software to strip the DRM from any Amazon or other books I purchase. At that point they are MY books, which I can do as I please with.

All of which drivel serves to highlight that the discussion or debate is really more to do with Digital Rights Management rather than any specific storage medium like DVD's, CD's and so on.

I don't believe that society will ever "give up" their inherent right to own something and own it properly. Some may do, the naïve perhaps, but there will always be many switched on people who will insist on preserving their basic rights.

So whilst the DVD as a storage medium may disappear, there will always be some other storage medium taking its place and there will always be someone somewhere that can and will bust through and DRM nonsense.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 05:11 PM

I hope not. I like my DVD collection but I also like real books too even though ereaders and ebooks are available. There is something about picking them out , touching and feeling them that I would miss. I enjoy obsessing with these sorts of things.
They are tangible, I agree Realist.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top