Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Re: Still working or retired?

I retired at 65 and have never regretted it. My pension was built up over the years and I can’t complain.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I still work on research Floydy.
I mostly work online, but also in the field.
I love my voluntary work also.
Oh, you want to know what don't you.
No Pms no personal stuff - sorry. x
I didn't mention that you needed to disclose what you do. You explained that you only do PM's anyway yesterday.
To be honest I'm not really interested.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Hi Floyd,

I graduted High School early. In those days, we skipped grades if they thought we could move ahead. I went to College (and later took some courses at University).....

My first job was in a dinky little furniture store behind the desk doing a little bit of everything in the office. (I also worked part time after school and week-end in a nickle and dime store).......I rolled coins in the office, I was the greatest little coin roller they ever had..hahahah)

Then I moved to Toronto and landed a good job as secretary to the Administrator of the hospital.....but I got married and then right away pregnant so I left and moved back toward's my husband's family home to be near them when the baby was born.

After the baby was born, I stayed home with him for a year, then I landed a job as a Private Investigator, and had to take some courses for that, and I was doing well..(stayed with it for about 10 years)...but I suffered from these damn migraines (that I still suffer with) and I was not as reliable if I came down with a migraine and I needed to be available......

So I decided to just do PI part time, and I got an office job at the city planning department. The pay was good so I continued on with bookkeeping for the rest of my working years (dabbling in a little PI work and other little moonlighing jobs at the race track, to make extra money).....because by that time I was divorcing my husband and planning to raise my son on my own, and I needed as much money as I could make.

I retired early (Age 54), I was just too sick to work any more. I loved all my jobs, I always had interesting work....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Hi

I am retired, but still involved in ongoing cases.

I can pick and choose what I do.

I love it.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Stopped working after being made redundant in 2009, should and could have argued that me being chosen to be made redundant was wrong but I was also diagnosed as having throat cancer. It was not until 5 years later I finally felt able to go back to some sort of work but also discovered that ageism is alive and well in Edinburgh and experience counted for nothing.

Reached official retirement age on Thursday last and hate not having work. Have signed up to do voluntary work in my local cat and dog shelter and had a start date but my long term partner died so that opportunity was put on hold and as there is quite a waiting list for such work I can but wait.

But next year I intend to see what else I can do to fill my time more productively that PC video games.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:16 PM

Retired at 48, mortgage paid off, no debts, no monthly subscriptions, a free man. Living off the VR payout, now looking to take early pension.

I choose to live frugally, don't waste money, make healthy meals with good ingredients. Have take-aways about 5 times a year. No smart phone, no Netflix, no Amazon Prime, nothing that requires a monthly subscription except home broadband.

You can't put a value on freedom imho. Everything is a choice, people always exercise priorities and its those priorities that invariably decide whether a person remains a slave or sets themselves free.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:17 PM

Just volunteered for this which is going to kick off next year..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...NHS-staff.html
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:20 PM

Gradually I've cut down my hours because physically I can't manage more that 3 hours a day, but I am still working and will do until I can't anymore.

I have another 11/12 years to go ! Won't make it , no way I will.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:37 PM

I stopped working last year. I'd been thinking about stopping for about a year but my perceived lack of financial security stopped me, although for the last 16 months I was only working part time.

In April of last year I reached 60 and to my surprise one of my old pensions paid out. I took a part lump sum and that, added to the pot I'd already saved and earned through careful investing, put me in a position where I could retire comfortably.

Once that idea was in my head I couldn't shake it and despite telling myself I'd work on til Christmas I only made it to August. Walked in to work one day, looked at the state it had been left in and decided life is too short for this sh*t.

I put my notice in there and then and never looked back.

I don't get State Pension until I'm 66.
andsome
Burntwood England
andsome is male  andsome has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:42 PM

I am retired , and I wish that people would desist from swearing on here. W*** is an obscene four letter W word.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top