Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 04:58 PM

Do You Know Your Liver and Onions?

I you do, I'd be interested in your constructive views on a number of points.

I used to eat liver, lambs liver I think, (for the iron content) but it was horrible to look at, taste and smell. I used to steam it, with no gravy. It was bitty and often had "tubes" running through it. Disgusting stuff.

But I remember getting some cooked liver from a chippy/takeaway and I couldn't believe how tasty it was. It was in one smooth, shinny (I think) piece. Very tender, tasty and seemingly very easy to digest (unlike some meats which are like eating leather).

1) My concern with buying it already cooked is that I can't believe many people would want to buy a liver meal, so few I would be concerned about the "sell by date" being well passed.

2) What type of liver is tastiest?

3) Best and simplest way to cook?
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Re: Do You Know Your Liver and Onions?

Just checked the amount of iron in the different types of liver. Beef is significantly lower than others.

Iron in Liver
The amount of iron in liver varies considerably depending on the type of liver you eat. Beef liver contains much less iron, around 5 milligrams per 3-ounce serving, compared with chicken liver, which contains 11 milligrams per 3-ounce serving. A 2 1/2-ounce serving of pork liver supplies 13.4 milligrams. Goose liver contains a large amount of iron, 28.7 milligrams per 100-gram serving, which is approximately 3 ounces. Eating goose liver daily could exceed your iron requirement for the day, which in some cases could cause health problems.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 05:23 PM

Gravy we did a Liver and Onions thread last year, did you forget?

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...ighlight=liver

You say you dislike lamb's liver but you were perhaps unfortunate where you bought it as it seems to be the most popular.

Good recipes from Joe...page2 post 13
From Shropshire page4 post33
From me page5 post48
From Twink page5 post50.

Yours is post49.

Thanks for reminding me to try out Joe's!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 05:38 PM

Make sure You have it with a nice little Chianti...Hannibal Lectar would approve.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 05:47 PM

Gravitas, lambs liver is delicious if you don't over cook it & it makes really good gravy.

I buy my liver at Waitrose butcher counter, but any butcher will sell it, and it usually costs me less than a pound for one large portion.
I love it !
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 06:02 PM

There is a little restaurant in Ilkley called The Vine they do liver with caramelized onions and bacon...it's made with calves liver and it's delicious.

I never do liver at home, not sure why but it's probably that I might throw up handling it .
Gravitas
North England

05-07-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Gravy we did a Liver and Onions thread last year, did you forget?

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...ighlight=liver

You say you dislike lamb's liver but you were perhaps unfortunate where you bought it as it seems to be the most popular.

Good recipes from Joe...page2 post 13
From Shropshire page4 post33
From me page5 post48
From Twink page5 post50.

Yours is post49.

Thanks for reminding me to try out Joe's!
I had indeed forgotten. It was 16 months ago. I can't even remember who won last year's FA Cup.

NB No need to give the answer.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 06:08 PM

liver and onion gravy is THE BEST. Mmmmmmmmm
Gravitas
North England

05-07-2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Gravitas, lambs liver is delicious if you don't over cook it & it makes really good gravy.

I buy my liver at Waitrose butcher counter, but any butcher will sell it, and it usually costs me less than a pound for one large portion.
I love it !
I meant to ask if it was better to go to a butcher rather than get some packaged piece.

I'm not concerned about the cost, I just can't bring myself to get some down me. But I'll organise something and forward your advice (including the previous thread) to my chef.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 06:10 PM

Used to feed it to my dogs .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top