Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 05:22 PM

Re: Battery charging

I"ve still bought their phones although it is increasingly difficult to say why. "It's an iPhone ", I say, not a generic droid. But that's what I believe about androids, too: they're all the same, particularly at the flagship level. And if you're going to pay that kind of money you may as well get an iPhone.

Somerthing else which makes me feel stupid: They do just work, the platform is excellent, you get what you pay for.

Although in the future I'll be far more hesitant about buying the latest thing. Their support is excellent, hardware and software, so there is no real need to buy a new one each year, one expensive hobby of mine. You can get a £90 Android that will do 90% of the same things.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah, I wondered whether it might be something to do with railway locomotives, being you mentioned 600V. But of course, they don't use batteries (I assume) but take the current from overhead lines or rails.
Locomotives usually have much higher voltages, especially on overhead catenary systems.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Electric motors do accelerate very quickly.
They deliver max torque from the get go so I'm not sure if they even need gearboxes. When we visited the Bingham Canyon copper mine in Utah I was surprised to find that the huge tracked excavators were connected to their power source by cable.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
They deliver max torque from the get go so I'm not sure if they even need gearboxes
In many applications the driven load needs several times the rated torque the motor can deliver but at a fraction of the speed. That's why you need gearboxes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I"ve still bought their phones although it is increasingly difficult to say why. "It's an iPhone ", I say, not a generic droid. But that's what I believe about androids, too: they're all the same, particularly at the flagship level. And if you're going to pay that kind of money you may as well get an iPhone.

Somerthing else which makes me feel stupid: They do just work, the platform is excellent, you get what you pay for.

Although in the future I'll be far more hesitant about buying the latest thing. Their support is excellent, hardware and software, so there is no real need to buy a new one each year, one expensive hobby of mine. You can get a £90 Android that will do 90% of the same things.
I have always has Android and have never had any problems with them.

I wouldn't dream of paying over the odd for Crapple and, as I understand it, they are not without their own faults anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Locomotives usually have much higher voltages, especially on overhead catenary systems.
I think the Underground has something in the region of 600V on their rails.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-12-2018, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
They deliver max torque from the get go so I'm not sure if they even need gearboxes. When we visited the Bingham Canyon copper mine in Utah I was surprised to find that the huge tracked excavators were connected to their power source by cable.
I'm sure you're right.

However, I remember the old trolley buses (or was it trams, although they were actually before my time if you believe that) made use of some sort of switching system when they first set off, presumably to bring in the motors bit by bit.

I'm afraid I don't fully understand it, though, so feel free to enlighten me... please!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-12-2018, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
In many applications the driven load needs several times the rated torque the motor can deliver but at a fraction of the speed. That's why you need gearboxes.
As I said, "I know nothing!", but I have noticed that wnen local electric locomotives set off I can hear a series of sounds which resemble short periods of increasing pitch, then after each the pitch returns to an earlier level until the train is moving at a high speed.

These don't sound anything like gearbox sounds, so I assume they are something to do with switching in different levels of voltage or current perhaps, a bit like the switching system I seem to remember from trolley buses as I mentioned earlier.

I'd love to get to the bottom of it!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 05:41 AM

I think the Underground has something in the region of 600V on their rails.
That's correct - from memory 400v above earth and 200v below earth (or was it the other way round?)

I think NSW heavy rail uses 1.5kv or at least that is the figure that sticks in my mind.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 04:13 PM

I have always has Android and have never had any problems with them.

I wouldn't dream of paying over the odd for Crapple and, as I understand it, they are not without their own faults anyway.
different strokes/if you can afford it etc. I don't need to worry about the cost of owning 2 iPhones. And I'd pick the iPhone XR over any android, same as my XS Max. Apple's build and design is always the best.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top