Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Re: Asking questions

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Of course Julie you are referring to questions in dicussions .
It quite ok to ask questions in discussions such as on this forum. As long as they are civil , - what's not alright to attack people for asking them .

BTW What IYO is emotional intelligence ?
No one should ever have to ask someone to stop asking questions. have a little idea of when you are being annoying or intrusive. If anyone asks you to stop just do it don't keep going. And that's in real life and on forums and anywhere else you happen to be asking.

And the you is a general you not about you necessarily.

My husband has aspergers he has very little emotional intelligence I often have to nudge him if he's being too honest or asking too many questions as it upsets people. I find I have little patience with people doing it who don't have any real reason to do it other than being nosy or trying to upset a person. My husband doesn't know when that is happening I believe anyone with emotional intelligence would.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 03:42 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions as long as they aren't too personal.

Something we were told many years at school - if you meet someone and find it difficult to make a conversation with them, just ask them a simple question and let them do the talking. In no time the conversation will work both ways. It's true, it does work.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No one should ever have to ask someone to stop asking questions. have a little idea of when you are being annoying or intrusive. If anyone asks you to stop just do it don't keep going. And that's in real life and on forums and anywhere else you happen to be asking.

What a rediculous generalisation.
There is nothing wrong indeed it's essential to ask questions in a debate /discussion situation
If you don't want to answer a question that's ok don't but don't attack anyone for asking just because you don't care to answer .

If a question is intrusive or personal that is a different situation .
Well mannered people don't ask intrusive or personal questions.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions as long as they aren't too personal.

Something we were told many years at school - if you meet someone and find it difficult to make a conversation with them, just ask them a simple question and let them do the talking. In no time the conversation will work both ways. It's true, it does work.
That's the key isn't it just asking enough to lubricate the conversation, too much more and it becomes an interrogation especially if you aren't giving anything yourself other than questions.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-12-2018, 03:48 PM

What a rediculous generalisation.
You are always going on about me asking questions in the debate discussion sections .
That of course is because you don't want to answer them or don't know the answers

If you don't want to answer a question that's ok don't but don't attack anyone for asking just to suit yourself.

If a question is intrusive or personal that is a different situation .
Well mannered people don't ask intrusive or personal questions.
I'm not arguing today Muddy it's Christmas. Had enough this year and if it was generalising tough I don't have another answer for you.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 03:50 PM

That's fine Julie
Just quit sniping at me .
It is Christmas let us have some good will
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-12-2018, 03:54 PM

I wasn't sniping at anyone only person I was complaining a bit about was my husband who is far too honest for his own good.

And hopefully he won't be reading this although he does know my thoughts on his "problem",
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

24-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Fairy Nuff !
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 04:50 PM

I went out this Sat Hashing ( this is social running for those who don't know) I had never been to this hash before .
It's was a mixture of nationalities I knew no one.
Everyone was so friendly they asked loads of questions and i in my turn asked questions of them .

They were such pleasant interesting and interested people it made me think .
That's brilliant Muddy, you should visit the 'Exercise' thread and explain a little bit more about 'Hashing' I've never done it myself but anything with maps and navigation I find interesting, and it keeps you fit also.

On some of the ultra events I competed in I would meet a random competitor and spend the next few hours with them. Exchanging life stories would help to pass the time. We have discussed some really personal issues on occasion, and then never seen them again.

I used to be a member of the 'Long Distance Walkers Association' where I regularly walked with groups from all over the country, and I made many friends through asking questions and getting to know other walkers. Walking and running are the type of passtimes where you find you have a lot in common with others....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

24-12-2018, 04:54 PM

You might like hashing OGF !

I have put it onto leisure activities didn't realise there was an exercise thread .

It's under Hash House Harriers.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top