Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 04:43 PM

Re: Les Miserables.

I enjoyed it but then I like dark and moody period dramas based on novels ...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I didn't like the story either Tiff and began to lose any emotion about the earlier characters. I also felt that, as they both died in the end & the girl had a chance to live happily ever after, any emotion I had felt was wasted.
It certainly wasn't the happy ending we hoped for, was it?
I think the name of the drama said it all.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I think the name of the drama said it all.

THis was quite possibly the best drama on TV for a fair while.

Absolutely brilliant with some fantastic acting performances.

The ending was brilliant and brought a lump to my throat as Jean Valjean redeemed himself and his life , ultimately, had purpose and value.

This has inspired me to read the novel.

More like this pleeeeeease!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 10:27 PM

I haven't read the book and couldn't sit through the musical version. I enjoyed the BBC1 dramatisation very much though.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Loved it , i cried at the end , and again seeing the begging hungry cold children, so nothings changed
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 10:08 AM

I.ve seen the musical version a few times times and while it is sad the music in it is wonderful. I went to see it when it first came out and I remember thinking how Russel crow doesn't have such a good voice yet he really pulled the part off.

I took my great nephew and he was 13 at the time and he really enjoyed it. He told me that when he first started watching it he wasn't so sure as it was all in song, but he thought it was a brilliant film sticking with it.

It was the first time I had ever gone to watch a film that got a standing ovation.

I went to London to see the stage version and I was blown away with the acting and singing, I m going again in August to see it in Bradford.

My hubby has recorded the TV series and we are going to watch it at the weekend.

It is a sad story but I love Les Miserables, oh and the musical film has Hugh Jackman in it *swoon*
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Yep, certainly lived up to the title....
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Yep, certainly lived up to the title....
Brilliantly so! In a good way!

Fantastic TV adaptation shining a light on a very tumultuous and pivotal historical period .

Such a pity it had to end.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 05:36 AM

I haven't watch any of it yet but I am looking forward to seeing how they cope with the entire Battle of Waterloo.

Victor Hugo's account in Les Miserables is apparently one of the few eye witness accounts of the battle.

One of the problems I have with the musical and the film is that in the book Eponine is described as being 15 (I think) and haggard and old before her time because of her poverty. Marius never gives her a second glance much as she adores him but in the film she is a buxom young lady.

Then there was Fontine who had her front teeth extracted not to mention how she got pregnant, the brothers of Eponine and Gavroche, such a complex story.

As I say I am looking forward to seeing the series.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 09:33 AM

I hadn't read the book or seen the musical.

It was ok I suppose, (costume dramas aren't really my thing) but I felt it leapt forwards too much a couple of times and I thought I may have missed an episode.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top