Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 07:44 AM

A New Laptop

I bought myself a new Laptop, it arrived this morning and I have spent the day loading it up with my programs.

My old Laptop was a Lenovo T420s which was very good in its day, originally loaded with Win7 it performed well with Win10 until the last year or so when newer programs started to take longer to load. I had been thinking of replacing it with the T480s but Lenovo had a deal which was hard to knock back.

My new computer is a T470 with a 64 bit i5 7200 processor, 512 GB SSD HD, 8Gb memory, two batteries, three USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB 2.0 port, ethernet RJ45 port, wifi, HDMI, Bluetooth, SD Card Reader etc - Plus some stuff I won't use Infrared and normal cameras, touch screen, fingerprint login. It doesn't have a DVD drive.

It is not the computer I would have chosen but it is close enough and at an $800 discount I just couldn't go past it.

Spent today debloating and loading up the programs I use on this laptop:

Open Live Writer
Mozilla Thunderbird
Firefox
CCleaner
Classic Shell
Picasa 3
VLC
Bulk Renamer
Keepass
Notepad++
M$ Office 2010

It is noticeably faster than my old laptop (thank gawd). I have a rather old USB DVD drive which I can use with it if I need to (that's how I loaded Office). The keyboard is a lot simpler. Quite pleased at the moment but this computer is for travelling with in Australia so that will be the real test.

Here on top of the computer it replaces - both 14" screens

Much thinner and considerably lighter than the old laptop.

Far less keys than the old one too. New one on the left.

I have been very pleased with my Lenovos so far.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	190103 008 New Lenovo Laptop.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	8323   Click image for larger version

Name:	190103 009 New Lenovo Laptop.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	8324   Click image for larger version

Name:	190103 014 New Lenovo Laptop.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	8325  
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 06:59 PM

Re: A New Laptop

Congratulations! Sounds like you got what you wanted in terms of specifications. I like mine as simple as possible. I had a netbook (remember them?), moved onto a Chromebook because it had an HD screen and wound up buying a MacBook in a sale. In general I'm not keen on Windows and I think this was due to having to use a 512MB RAM desktop with Windows XP.

The MacBook isn't perfect; the keys are individually backlit which is good but I make more typos on this machine than any other I've had. I like it's lightness, thinness and it feels like a premium device but it just does what all other laptops do - get me online. I hope you get many years of good use out of yours.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Congratulations! Sounds like you got what you wanted in terms of specifications. I like mine as simple as possible. I had a netbook (remember them?), moved onto a Chromebook because it had an HD screen and wound up buying a MacBook in a sale. In general I'm not keen on Windows and I think this was due to having to use a 512MB RAM desktop with Windows XP.

The MacBook isn't perfect; the keys are individually backlit which is good but I make more typos on this machine than any other I've had. I like it's lightness, thinness and it feels like a premium device but it just does what all other laptops do - get me online. I hope you get many years of good use out of yours.
Netbooks? Yes I have had a couple still use one for my O/S trips. I am still getting over how light the new laptop is compared to the old one. The old one has a number of features I like but, as I say, newer programs are really slow to load on it to the point of being irritating.

Backlit keys seem to be all the rage now, this computer has them but you can turn them on or off. The computer it replaces had what I thought was a better idea - a single LED above the screen which lit the keyboard.

Anyway, this morning I dug out all my working computers for a family photo:

I say 'working' but the top row are ones I never use these days. Two 10" tablets are several years old and just too big in my opinion while the red Dell computer is my first netbook. It ran XP and is basically useless now; I tried Ubuntu on it but it was still as slow as a wet weekend so really is just waiting to be binned (as a hoarder these things take time).

The silver one on the right is a Dell now running Ubuntu 16 LTS and which works well - it dates back to the early days of Vista but was high spec for its day so still performs well. An O/S friend of mine uses it to run her business in Asia when she visits (using TeamViewer). Now I have the spare Lenovo I will probably give it to one of those charities that re-purposes old computers.

My current Lenovo 10" Netbook is centre left. Reasonably fast but like the new computer had a touch screen which I just turned off - the screen folds back on itself so you can use it as a tablet (I don't)

The 7" Tablet (bottom right) I use all the time for watching YouTube, email etc, a much more useful size than the 10" tablets in my opinion.

The only one not showing is my Lenovo desktop which I use most of the time, it is fast (an i7 processor) and by far my favourite computer - all the others are just part timers used for travel

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6643.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	8331  
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 06:54 AM

I'm going to need a new laptop if my Toshiba screws continue to fall out. The whole thing is moving. I moved some screws around a while back and it was fine, but now some of those have fallen out too.

I was wondering if anyone knows the type of scart to HDMI needed to link a (scartless) lenovo thinkpad to an old scart-connected Acer display monitor. There are lots of DVI to HDMI leads but I have not been able to find a simple scart to HDMI lead. For something that should be quite simple it's proving tricky to sort. They have scart to hdmi converter units but they are dearer and I'm not sure whether I need scart to hdmi or hdmi to scart.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 08:09 PM

Congrats on the laptop Bruce. Lenovo's are true workhorses and preferred by serious businesses needing good performance and reliability. I've used one for years.

For netbooks I always favoured ASUS. They took that market with the eeePC's imo. Had great battery life and performance. Still have one, still use it.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 08:18 PM

Do you mean something like this Annie VGA to HDMI

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-Aud...72.m2749.l2649

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top