Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 11:45 AM

Re: Road Rage

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Of late, a fair proportion of "White Van" drivers seem to be of none White British ethnicity, and, in general, of a calmer disposition.
Migrant Internet delivery drivers on a minimum wage mostly.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
People project their own emotions onto others and make all sorts of assumptions about what the other driver is thinking. As I don't know what's going on in their heads or what sort of day they have had I find the best way to handle things these days is to put my hand up in a thank you and smile, or just smile or just stare straight ahead. Quite often they aren't thinking clearly.
Firstly, thank God you're okay, Summer but it must have been quite terrifying at the time.

Annie, you hit the nail on the head there.
Who knows what kind of day these drivers affected by road rage are having? But some people drive like that all the time and are of a naturally angry disposition to begin with. I believe these people need to think twice about getting in their cars/vans to begin with - it's similar to people whose temperament is affected badly by drinking; they shouldn't do so.

I've been a "victim" of road ragers often, mostly it's by the 'tailgators' who want to somehow make you drive faster and faster. No speed is fats enough for them as they want to "own the road". I simply slow down and then they have an option: they can pull back or turn around and find another way to their destination. I am unfazed by them.
When they sometimes do get past me I have my middle finger ready at the window. Without looking at them, they get it rigidly as they zoom past. I couldn't care less.
I had one driver see me do this last summer and he got past and pulled over into a lay-by, motioning me to do the same and stop as I went past him. I didn't as I wasn't looking for a fight, that is the mentality of an imbecile. If I had responded to his wishes though, he would have ended up in a very sorry state if he had attacked me I'm afraid, because I would have simply picked him up and thrown him over a wall or something. But it's not worth being put in a police cell for is it?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:13 PM

I have had a few run-ins over the years , all part of driving sadly but one particular time, if I had had a loaded gun, I would be spending life in prison now.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Summer , how awful , what a horrible man . I now avoid people's eyes and look straight ahead .

Things have happened to me and frightened me so I feel for you . I'm glad your safe
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience.

I was scared so I pulled into Booths supermarket car park and ran into the shop he just drove around the car park ...he saw me looking...laughed and then drove off.

I'm still thinking about it...very scary.

Why do some people get so mad? ...I like to think I'm fairly resilient but I'll admit he scared me a bit
Getting involved in that sort of situation is, indeed, very scary .....

Making it safely to the supermarket was definitely the best thing to do .....

I, too, have had to "live and learn" .....

I now plan my driving routes to avoid those "parked car" situations but, if encountered, I enter them with care and stay calm .....

I received some sound advice regarding "road rage" (my own and others), much of which is included on the AA site, when I had my driving appraised four years ago:

Anger management - how to prevent road rage

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice...s-of-road-rage

Extract:

• Do your best to ensure you're in a good frame of mind when driving. If you're upset or distracted by something else, you're less likely to drive safely.
  • Try to plan possible delays into your driving time. It's not always possible of course, but if you manage it, you're less likely to be overly upset by traffic jams.
  • Keep your responses measured where you can. Don't over-react to someone else's bad driving or obsess about it unless you have to. Keep moving and concentrate on driving well yourself.
  • If the incident was your fault, acknowledge it fully and clearly in a friendly way. Raising your whole hand up, for instance, could diffuse the situation.
  • Avoid eye contact with an aggressive driver, as this could increase the chances of a conflict. Also refrain from any unnecessary gestures, headlights flashing or horn honking. They're distractions that'll almost certainly raise the temperature of any interaction.
  • Should an angry driver try to force a confrontation, don't get out of the car to meet them. Stay in your vehicle with the doors locked and call the police if necessary.
  • If you did find yourself in a road rage incident that got a bit intense, it might be an idea to pull over somewhere and have a bit of a time out afterwards.

Nowadays, I refrain from "honking" .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 03:27 PM

How horrible, Summer. What a pig of a man.
Probably made him feel big bullying a woman.

Glad you're alright though, good move going into the shop. x
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 07:49 PM

Thankyou for the support and advice everyone.... yes I think I will get a dashcam. I drove along the same stretch of road again today.... just because I can
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 08:09 PM

This will probably sound daft, BUT, since I stopped driving my wee car and starting using the OH's big farm 4x4 I no longer get threatened. I used to find people would drive right up behind me and try to push and bully the wee woman in the wee car. My car was off the road for a good while and that's why I was using his, so I traded mine in and got my own 4x4, and no body has bothered me since....it's all narrow single track roads here, not for playing silly sods on.
My daughter found the same thing in Dundee, now she drives a big car, no bullying.
It's really scary when your in a wee car and a big white van roars right up the back of you with engine revving. Why do men do that?....... Anyone?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Thankyou for the support and advice everyone.... yes I think I will get a dashcam. I drove along the same stretch of road again today.... just because I can
You wont regret getting one.

As I said halfords will fit it for you ,but that is really just sticking it to the window screen and plugging it in. Not really a good idea as cables can get in the way.

What I did and easy to do is to tuck it behind the roof lining to the "A" pillar and behind the rubber all the way down the glove dept. Then behind that to the cigar socket.

link

However if I were you I would ask for it to be hard wired.

B this i mean it is piggybacked onto a spare fuse or one not often needed. The halfords people may charge a little more with the extra bit of kit but well worth doing.

Why?
well no need to have to keep it plugged into the cigar socket, better hidden, but the big and i really mean big advantage it livens up when the ignition is on and of when the ignition is off. Just finding the right fuse if you don't have the knowledge is best left to their technicians

I have the popular Nextbase 312GW version which allows for the hard wiring to be made easier without damaging anything.

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You wont regret getting one.

As I said halfords will fit it for you ,but that is really just sticking it to the window screen and plugging it in. Not really a good idea as cables can get in the way.

What I did and easy to do is to tuck it behind the roof lining to the "A" pillar and behind the rubber all the way down the glove dept. Then behind that to the cigar socket.

link

However if I were you I would ask for it to be hard wired.

B this i mean it is piggybacked onto a spare fuse or one not often needed. The halfords people may charge a little more with the extra bit of kit but well worth doing.

Why?
well no need to have to keep it plugged into the cigar socket, better hidden, but the big and i really mean big advantage it livens up when the ignition is on and of when the ignition is off

I have the popular Nextbase 312GW version which allows for the hard wiring to be made easier

Thanks RS I will go to Halfords and report back.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top