Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 02:36 PM

Re: Shortage of Medecines

Anyone who needs extra meds and does not want to go on the net can always go to a private GP and ask for a private prescription. You then go to the chemist and pay for the medication knowing that it's passed the MHRA requirements. Either option (private GP or online) costs money.

Most of the requirements are down to manufacturers having a licence to distribute in the UK. So just because they don't have that doesn't mean that medicines are bad. They may distribute perfectly safe medications on the other side of the world

The Epi pen shortage is down to the monopoly one company have on the technology rather than a shortage of adrenaline. A monopoly that has been won in the law courts. Adrenaline degrades over time but I'm sure that it's not only in the interest of patient safety but also in the interests of profits to make it a shorter shelf life. There are companies trying to manufacture a more stable version of epinephrine which should have a longer shelf life. But it's ridiculous than only one organisation is licensed to use the technology.

Rationing to what's needed is probably down to the amount of prescribed medications that are wasted each year and I'm sure we all have lots of prescribed meds in the cabinet which have only been partly used or maybe not even opened.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Wondered where you were Annie, glad you joined the debate.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Anyone who needs extra meds and does not want to go on the net can always go to a private GP and ask for a private prescription. You then go to the chemist and pay for the medication knowing that it's passed the MHRA requirements. Either option (private GP or online) costs money.
So as ever it comes down to a money issue nothing more. If the NHS is willing to diagnose someone and deem that they need long term courses of medications then there is no sensible reason why the first instalment shouldn't be 2-3 sets of those meds to act as a backup, followed by weekly instalments. It is COST that prevents them doing this because an additional 2-3 sets of Meds for millions of people ramps up.

Most of the requirements are down to manufacturers having a licence to distribute in the UK. So just because they don't have that doesn't mean that medicines are bad. They may distribute perfectly safe medications on the other side of the world
And of course they do just that. Medications are medications. They have no conscience. They are not racist, choosing to work only for UK citizens and not for anyone else !

But it's ridiculous than only one organisation is licensed to use the technology.
The kind of corruption seen throughout the Big Pharma and medical industry.

I'm sure we all have lots of prescribed meds in the cabinet which have only been partly used or maybe not even opened.
Not in my house but perhaps in others yes. I have "prescribed" (cough) Meds in the house for emergencies but I know from research and experience that they last many many years beyond the dates on the packets/tubs. So no issue at all with them being there. My tiny supply relative to the wider population is of no impact to anyone else's supply.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Simple question, why are the NHS not manufacturing them themselves.

Simple and easy to do.

Why do we insist on the Private Sector supplying them
Why? Because the NHS is an outward arm of the Big Pharma industry. It exists now solely for the purpose of generating revenue for Big Pharma. It has established drug pathways to maximise the sales of drugs and to prolong a patient's course of them. It has pathways of drugs that cure one ailment but introduce another which then requires a secondary set of drugs and sometimes tertiary.

The NHS is a business, not a health service.

Healthy people do not generate revenue . . .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
So as ever it comes down to a money issue nothing more. If the NHS is willing to diagnose someone and deem that they need long term courses of medications then there is no sensible reason why the first instalment shouldn't be 2-3 sets of those meds to act as a backup, followed by weekly instalments. It is COST that prevents them doing this because an additional 2-3 sets of Meds for millions of people ramps up.
There's probably some anti- fraud measures there too. Pharmacies are private companies and there have to be controls in place to stop them claiming for medications that are not delivered.

I agree with you on the corporate aspects of "big pharma". Supply should not be hampered because of legal claims over the patent of a technology. That's totally anti competitive and in this instance has endangered lives due to a manufacturing hitch.

I used to have lots of half used meds in the house. Stuff I was prescribed but didn't want. A lot of medications come in packs that are too big for one use. So you may only need a little but they cannot buy smaller units. Again that's down to pharma company profits.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 03:19 PM

Silly statement. There are 100 of genuine reputable online pharmacies worldwide that sell Meds on a daily basis to millions of people.

Ok so this is a slightly different topic and angle but let's explore it.

There is a responsibility across the whole industry to ensure that people are taking drugs in the correct way and for the right reasons. No question. If we allowed idiots to take antibiotics to treat cold viruses then we increase the advent of resistant bugs.

However, this moral duty has no bearing whatsoever on the authenticity and quality of any drug being sold. What you are questioning is the moral aspect of whether they should sell it to someone not whether the product is good or bad. A different issue altogether.

Hmmm but it didn't kill him did it?! You bought Meds perfectly easily online and they were genuine. AND you appear to have done so WITHOUT a prescription.

How did you manage that?
Illegally was how we managed it realist and I don't say that with any pride at all. But desperation breeds that sort of thing IMO
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 03:23 PM

Hi

Sorry, but you are wrong Realist.

I need my Meds, end of.

Failure to supply is just plain wrong.

I need them before my Ops to go and see my son,you are out of order on this one.

This has nothing at all to do with Big Pharma or any conspiracy at all.

It is a simple scientific fact.

The problems I have are due to be being seriously injured in protecting you and others.

Being denied them so I cannot fly out to see my son I find totally wrong.

Enjoy your cruises, but remember those who have kept you safe to go on them.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

20-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Hi Swim

You were asking why we didn't manufacture our own drugs instead of paying high prices to private sector. I simply offered why I think that is. Profits for Big Pharma. I'm thinking I misunderstood your point from what you just wrote.

You're now talking about being denied Meds which you need to go and see your son. That's unacceptable clearly. Wherein lies the problem?

Is it that there is a shortage of the Meds or that they won't source them from somewhere else or some other reason?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 03:35 PM

I've sometimes found that the pharmacy haven't been able to get a particular drug for me but have ordered and its always there the next day.

I'm not sure about other medicines though.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Hi Swim

You were asking why we didn't manufacture our own drugs instead of paying high prices to private sector. I simply offered why I think that is. Profits for Big Pharma.
There's no way the government will take on the risk of research and development of drugs. Pharma companies put in a lot of money to investigate new drugs which may lead to a dead end. They then want to make a profit on other drugs that are successful. So they incur big losses on some and make gains from cash cows & stars which prove to help a lot of people. Some drugs are very expensive because they only help a few people. It was a long time ago but I had to go a project on this at business school. It's an interesting sector to study.

Here's a summary of the fraud aspect :

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.c...irstPass=false
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Epipens have been in short supply for a while, we are being told to use out of date ones and not throw them away until we get new ones issued. Makes me think if they work longer than they state on the packs then how many have we thrown away that still worked in the past ? criminal waste IMO
Worry not, Julia.

I understand that medicines have a use-by date which can be passed if necessary.

They don't just stop working, and will remain effective for some time.

If in doubt, ask your GP for advice. I'm sure you don't need to worry too much.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top