Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 12:30 PM

Re: Passion!

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
People will think I'm weird but....Crocodiles and Alligators

I think they're just beautiful, awesome (and often misunderstood and vilified) creatures, a species to be admired.

I belong to a couple of Croc groups on Facebook and I never tire of looking at videos and photos of them.
I have a few pics of Alligators Nicol, taken in Florida. I will post them later and you are welcome to nick them.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I wonder if crocs are good mothers?
Yes, they are very good mothers. This article features gators but crocs do the same things.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have a few pics of Alligators Nicol, taken in Florida. I will post them later and you are welcome to nick them.
Ooohhh, thank you!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 12:43 PM

Good topic Pauline....
Another difference between Crocodiles and Alligators.
When we visited the Everglades in Florida the man driving the Airboat said that an Alligator would only take into its mouth what it could swallow because it can't chew, the Crocodile on the other hand grips it's prey in its jaws and spins in the water and tears pieces off. He said; If an Alligator attacks a human its a case of mistaken identity, because he sees your head bobbing on the surface he thinks that is all there is. When he discovers a large body underneath he releases the head, but of course by this time the body is dead from the great gripping strength of the jaws. He said that bodies recovered from the water have not usually been eaten. Perhaps Surfermom could enlighten us further....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Yes I have passion for many things
Music...I sing . play the keyboards and saxophone
I woodwork, woodcarve
I’m also a painter .... watercolours & acrylics
I’ve a passion for gardening, swimming, walking, baking
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 03:54 PM

Nicol, you should come visit! I have an alligator that I see most days on one of my favorite running trails.

She has quite a legendary history, including being evacuated during a park fire, only to crawl the mile or more it took to go back to her home spot in her favorite swamp pond.

Here she is with one of her babies on her back.

She is quite the successful mother, having a good number of babies every year whom she frequently carries around on her back. We don't see much of her in the winter months, and many of the alligators in the coldest areas here have been brumating - basically hibernating with their snouts out of the water when there is a hard freeze:

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 04:06 PM

Awesome pictures,surfer mum,..do baby alligators have a good survival rate?.and who are their predators?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Nicol, you should come visit! I have an alligator that I see most days on one of my favorite running trails.

She has quite a legendary history, including being evacuated during a park fire, only to crawl the mile or more it took to go back to her home spot in her favorite swamp pond.

Here she is with one of her babies on her back.

She is quite the successful mother, having a good number of babies every year whom she frequently carries around on her back. We don't see much of her in the winter months, and many of the alligators in the coldest areas here have been brumating - basically hibernating with their snouts out of the water when there is a hard freeze:

Wow! I've never heard of brumating! How incredible!

Plus, I believe they can outrun a human? Well, me, certainly!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes I have passion for many things
Music...I sing . play the keyboards and saxophone
I woodwork, woodcarve
I’m also a painter .... watercolours & acrylics
I’ve a passion for gardening, swimming, walking, baking
What type of stuff do you sing, Bratti?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 04:21 PM

Spot the alligator

This was taken at Boggy Creek in Florida when we were on our Airboat ride.....

Baby alligators ....

I was fortunate to be able to hold a young alligator, about 2.5ft long. It's tummy was so soft and warm - if they didn't grow any bigger I would have loved one as a pet!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Wow! Beautiful pictures, Mags!

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Awesome pictures,surfer mum,..do baby alligators have a good survival rate?.and who are their predators?
They have a fairly good survival rate, though they can be eaten by raccoons, snakes, wading birds, and coyotes, though they are more likely to succumb to lack of food due to loss of habitat.

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Wow! I've never heard of brumating! How incredible!

Plus, I believe they can outrun a human? Well, me, certainly!
Yes, alligators can outrun a human but thankfully humans are not their prey and they mostly try to avoid people. It would be unwise to disturb the babies with the mother about...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top