Join for free
Page 13 of 22 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 05:52 PM

Re: The despicable scumbags!!!

You quickly changed your mind there - first you were adverse to the taxpayer sharing "the burden" then in your second post you're willing to see the taxpayer contribute toward the very destitute children.

Astonishing change of heart.

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

As to child benefit. I'd confine it to one child. Preferably just scrub the whole idea.
Anyone who wants kids should pay for them themselves. Why should the taxpayer have to share the burden of raising other people's kids?
Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Pummy ... I'm beginning to think you're following me around.
It's like in the pantomimes ... Look behind you!

Child Benefit is paid irrespective of parents earning power.
Thus ... the poorest and the wealthiest receive it... excepting those with an income above 60k per annum.
So the let them suffer, starve and rather over dramatically, even die .. is a little kneejerk and farfetched don't you think.
Yes ... I'd get rid of it. Make it Means Tested. Anyone unemployed (with no savings) and in receipt of benefits would be taken care of. For the first two children.
It should not be an automatic right.

Come to think of it .. does that mean Prince William qualifies for Child Benefit for his two sprogs?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 06:04 PM

Not following anybody around, Morty.
Just that we seem to be attracted to the same threads and usually differ.

Any reasonable person scrolling back will find the very clear suggestion that there should be no benefits paid to parents for more than one or two children.
"Irresponsible" etc etc etc.

I''m simply saying that society cannot morally abandon such children. (By all means, apply a means test if you will)
Clearly they did not ask to be born.

And I don't give a rat's if they are in Singapore, Sydney or Southampton - it's the principle.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
1000s of families that have lived in the area around the Isle of Dogs for generations - shunted out to Stepney, Bethnal Green, and Stratford to make room for the obscene wealth of Canary Wharf and about to be be shunted out yet again by the benefit caps and the ever increasing circle of property developers and greedy landlords.

If I earned the minimum wage in Tescos or any other morally bankrupt multi-national, I'd be somewhat reluctant to travel by London Underground at inflated prices to get to my job each day.

We do not live in a meritocratic society, people do not have equal life chances, access to good education, housing, environment amongst other things is patchy and weighted in favour of the articulate middle class.

It's an eff@!! disgrace.
People don't have a divine right to live in any given area just because their forefathers did.
The areas of London are constantly changing as communities move elsewhere and others move in .
Much of the population of Bethnal Green have their roots in rural Pakistan or elsewhere on the planet.
Actually every child in the UK has access to education .
And with education comes opportunity
There are fewer and fewer jobs for the poorly skilled
Therefore it behaves one to do the best to get skilled
There are Tesco all over the land one doesn't have to go to London to work in one .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
You quickly changed your mind there - first you were adverse to the taxpayer sharing "the burden" then in your second post you're willing to see the taxpayer contribute toward the very destitute children.

Astonishing change of heart.
Have I got 'Coconut shy .. aim here' written on my forehead.

I haven't changed my mind. Nothing astonishing .. except perhaps in your response. Or maybe not. You are kinda predictable.
I said ..preferably, .. no Child Benefit .. but confine it to one child. If people want kids it is their responsibility to finance their upbringing.
If they become unemployed (as can happen to anyone) .. I also said .. make it Means Tested and not an automatic right, working on the assumption that Benefits are only to provide a safety net.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Hi

A simple point, somebody has to be earning enough money to pay the taxes to allow these benefits to be paid.

If we all decided not to work for morally bankrupt firms and refused to travel to get work there would not be enough money to pay benefits to those who demand them as of right.

Please do not lecture people about social inequality and lack of opportunity, I was born into it, as were my friends and most of us worked our way out of it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 06:13 PM

Means testing seems a bit grim .
It brings up images of hatchet faced desk jockeys making moral judgements on people lives .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Not following anybody around, Morty.
Just that we seem to be attracted to the same threads and usually differ.

Any reasonable person scrolling back will find the very clear suggestion that there should be no benefits paid to parents for more than one or two children.
"Irresponsible" etc etc etc.

I''m simply saying that society cannot morally abandon such children. (By all means, apply a means test if you will)
Clearly they did not ask to be born.

And I don't give a rat's if they are in Singapore, Sydney or Southampton - it's the principle.
Who's abandoning them?
I said Means Testing .. though to be frank any couple wanting children should make it part of their own financial planning to decide how many they can comfortably afford to rear. It's only sensible and fair on their kids who presumably they want offer a safe upbringing and a good start in life.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 06:15 PM

Yes every child does have access education - the quality of provision is not uniform e.g those that attend Eton or even state school in Richmond have better life chances than some inner city children that attracts the least investment and fewer quality staff.

Yes with some education comes opportunity (see above).

No idea about jobs available for the unskilled - I'm not sure why it should be any different now.

Surely London Tescos require staff? If unable to live in London then they would have to travel in

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Actually every child in the UK has access to education .
And with education comes opportunity
There are fewer and fewer jobs for the poorly skilled
Therefore it behaves one to do the best to get skilled
There are Tesco all over the land one doesn't have to go to London to work in one .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

02-11-2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Means testing seems a bit grim .
It brings up images of hatchet faced desk jockeys making moral judgements on people lives .
It does doesn't it. But as in so many area of the Welfare system it's probably going to have to come. When there isn't enough money to go around how do you prioritise without injuring another.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-11-2016, 06:17 PM

Of course they should it's only common sense .
If adults are old enough to produce children they are old enough to take responsibility for them .
It's grossly unfair to expect others ( who may have liked to have more children ) to pay because you are sexually incontinent .

Page 13 of 22 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top