Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:20 PM

Re: Superstitions !

Lol,good ones..I had three Irish Grandparents and the Catholic ones told Me I musn't whistle as it makes 'Our Lady' cry..eh!..I was a great whistler as My Brothers taught Me and I could whistle better than Them...Another was when Someone dies You must cover all the mirrors in the house and turn Pictures to the wall..can't remember why :~)
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I think that's the problem - people believe these things and it creates negativity. Opals are very popular and lovely, if there was any truth in it - they would not be so popular
Patsy, I think I remember someone saying that about opals before, but I hadn't heard of it. Infact, it was a stone I didn't know much about. I heard more about pearls being unlucky.

I'm not as superstitious as I used to be. I think it's just a coincidence most of the time. Hopefully
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Oh dear, I got a beautiful opal commitment ring in Australia. I'd hate to think it was unlucky. It hasn't been - yet!
Opal is the October birthstone - reputed to be unlucky to wear one unless you were Oct born. Cannot believe anything so beautiful could be unlucky - but they do break easily as I know to my cost.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Such a shame to have the belief in them - can take over yer life ! The panic that must take over in some cases too
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by aquablue ->
Lol,good ones..I had three Irish Grandparents and the Catholic ones told Me I musn't whistle as it makes 'Our Lady' cry..eh!..I was a great whistler as My Brothers taught Me and I could whistle better than Them...Another was when Someone dies You must cover all the mirrors in the house and turn Pictures to the wall..can't remember why :~)
Don't know about pictures - but mirrors were supposed to take part of your soul - hence the covers.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:23 PM

Patsy, I think I remember someone saying that about opals before, but I hadn't heard of it. Infact, it was a stone I didn't know much about. I heard more about pearls being unlucky.

I'm not as superstitious as I used to be. I think it's just a coincidence most of the time. Hopefully
Yes - said about pearls too and again very popular .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

16-02-2015, 06:24 PM

)

You are not supposed to give pearls to anyone - they bring tears !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

16-02-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Nothing surprises me in the superstition game Silver.
There are so many of them over here, my grandmother was a country woman and she was very superstitious, I think a lot of it rubbed off on me. Never open an umbrella in the house, a woman whistling in the house is the height of bad luck (come to think of I’m not sure if women can whistle at all, I’ve never heard one whistle, maybe something to do with the Adams apple?),
A whistling woman and a crowing hen
brings the devil out of his den !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-02-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
QVC sells thousands of them each year - wonder if that's the reason for all the floods
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
My husband left me the year of our Pearl Anniversary! So i definitely don't wear pearls .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top