Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:50 PM

Re: New Zealand volcano: At least five dead after White Island eruption

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
White Island has been a popular destination for tourists and locals for over 30 years. It is a continually active volcano the warning levels go up and down frequently . There was , despite a rise of one level little change to warrant closing the tours. The chances of being caught in an eruption were probably about the same as being struck by lightening. I would happily take that chance. Two of the people killed were tour operators.
Back in the 1930's there was a sulphur mining business set up but a sudden eruption killed 10 workers whose bodies were never found.

Don't be so sensible Ciderman.
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:46 AM

Being privately owned, the government has no jurisdiction over it. It is fool hardy to visit the island, regardless. Tourists have to sign a waiver that they are well aware of the risks, however the tour operator and/or the owner must take full responsibilty.
To have allowed the tourists to go into the crater is beyond belief.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Mad, given the warnings, that the tours were allowed to go on. Some people only see money.
Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
How awful - but - why, oh, why were they still allowed to go there after warnings of an imminent eruption? Madness.
Originally Posted by Isa49 ->
Being privately owned, the government has no jurisdiction over it. It is fool hardy to visit the island, regardless. Tourists have to sign a waiver that they are well aware of the risks, however the tour operator and/or the owner must take full responsibilty.
To have allowed the tourists to go into the crater is beyond belief.

I know bugger all about volcanoes but this man does and he explains why there were no warnings of the eruption and why it was a surprise even to expert volcanologists.

Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Don't be so sensible Ciderman.
Whyever not? This is a discussion forum, not a race to see who can make the most scathing comments about others!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I would never go and visit an active volcano .
( even a dormant one is suspicious ) I don’t care how rare it is you won’t catch me there .

There seems to be some confusion over whether or not warnings were issued. Does anyone know for sure?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 07:53 AM

Ah - just seen Bruce's excellent video - that explains it perfectly.
Thank you Bruce.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 08:03 AM

I just read there is to be a criminal investigation....so there must be some concern that people were knowingly put in danger
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 08:54 AM

I think the "criminal investigation" might be a bit misleading. Whenever deaths are involved in a system controlled by a business the investigation is simply to ensure that there is no culpable action necessary.
The warning levels go up and down a lot and were not considered dangerous as they were in the 1 to 2 levels of a 5 level scale and happened many times over the past decades.
Sad though the event is, it is probably statistically safer visiting that volcano over the last 30 years.than riding a motorbike.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the video Bruce very informative, that bloke knows his stuff....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I just read there is to be a criminal investigation....so there must be some concern that people were knowingly put in danger

Yes Summer, I heard something on the lunchtime news about this. They were saying there is to be an investigation as to why anyone was allowed on there.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top