Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:13 PM

Re: Preventing type 2 diabetes!

Week Three

The first hour concentrated on life style and diet. Looking closely at the five main food categories - Fruit/Veg/Fibre - Proteins - Dairy - Fats/Oils - and carbohydrates. We examined why we need them, what they actually do for us and how small changes in our diet could make big improvements to our health, well being and weight management. We discussed the various types of 'diet' - such as - low carb, low fat, Mediterranean and intermittent fasting. Joy of joys - the presenter said that no one 'diet' is the best!! We each need to establish what works best for ourselves - there is no quick fix - and people who go crash diets often do more harm than good. He backed this with graphs and statistics - but also explained the whys and wherefores. He stressed that no-one should cut out completely any of the five main groups as we need some of each to stay healthy.

The second hour was all about fats/oils and was very scientific. I wished he had done this bit first while my brain was still awake! We discussed the various kinds of fats and oils available and identified which were the good ones and which the bad. He had an excellent power point presentation to illustrate the more complicated bits - which made it easier to understand. Our 'homework' is to keep a food diary for next week - when we will be discussing carbs and sugars/sweeteners - and looking at the diaries to see what changes could be made.

It is pouring with rain - town is manic because St Nicholas Fair opened today plus the council are out and about putting up Christmas Lights - so people everywhere. Arrived home soaked to the skin - was glad i had made a cauldron of celery soup before I went out - very warming!

When I go to my bed tonight I will not be counting sheep - it will be saturates, polyunsaturates, trans-fats and triglycerides!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:29 PM

It sounds pretty 'in depth' Tabby.

Not sure I could absorb all those facts and information each session.
Do you make notes of everything?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It sounds pretty 'in depth' Tabby.

Not sure I could absorb all those facts and information each session.
Do you make notes of everything?
I try to, Mups, but they do give us lots of resources as well. One of the books they gave us free of charge would cost about £12 if we had to buy it ourselves.

It is very 'in depth' but the presenters are so good at explaining things. I am really impressed - oh - we were weighed again today - have lost another 2lbs and another inch from the waistline!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

22-11-2019, 12:08 AM

Week Four

Tonight was all about Carbohydrates - where they come from and what they do. Also the tutor/presenter explained the High/Low glycaemic index. Basically starchy carbs are high GI and should be eaten sparingly, fibrous carbs are low GI and may eaten more frequently.

There was some 'science' involved again but not so much as last week - my brain is still trying to process all of that - and we had a bit of a quiz to test how much information we had retained from the previous few weeks. We also had to feed back to the tutor what changes (if any) we had made in our approach to our food and our lifestyle since being on the programme.

Our homework last week was to keep a food diary and bring it with us tonight. Working in small groups we had to analyse these dairies and put each item into one of the main food categories - Carbs/proteins/fats/ fruit and veg/dairy - to see how much of each we were eating per day and suggest possible beneficial changes that could make our diet healthier.

I must be doing something right as I have lost another kilo in weight and a further half inch from my waistline - all quite painlessly and without giving up any of my favourite foods.

I am finding this programme informative and fascinating in equal measure.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 01:13 AM

This great news, Tabby. This programme certainly seems to be working for you, well done!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 01:27 AM

Well done Tabby, glad the program is working for you...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

29-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Week Five

We concentrated on food labelling this week - and it was interesting to see how some producers break the rules and mislead/confuse the purchasers.

Reduced/Low fat - on labels may look healthy - but - it means only 30% of fat has been taken out, which is not much - and it neglects to say it has been replaced by extra sugar to keep the product bulked up.

Lite - whenever I have seen that on a label I have assumed it meant low in fat, carbs and/or sugar - it doesn't. It means light in texture.

Traffic Light labels The familiar Red, Amber and Green spots seen on a lot of processed foods. This system is based purely on a 'low fat diet plan' and can be very misleading. For example - mackerel would be labelled with a red spot because it is high in fat, so people maybe reluctant to buy it - but - in fact it is good fat - Omega 3.

Dialicious 'They' are gradually phasing out the labelling of foods as 'diabetic' as this - apparently - stigmatizes those with diabetes. A couple of producers have wriggled round this by using the word 'dialicious' on their products.

Was pleased to find I have lost another kilo in weight.

Next week - we are to have test to see how much we have taken in - Eeeek - I don't like tests!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 12:01 PM

You are doing well Silver Tabby and sound to be enjoying learning about food too. Proof of this is in the weight and inches lost. Also this has been achieved without cutting out your favourite foods.

Regarding the labelling, I was informed about all that too and it surprised me to learn the truth behind some of the claims made by manufacturers, and that they 'get away' with it too.

We were advised the best way to know exactly what is contained in a product is to look at the labelling where it states amounts per 100g. Once you have learned what is necessary in your diet this part of the labelling is very useful, also it's helpful in making direct comparisons between various foods or different manufacturers.

I hope you continue to enjoy and benefit from the course, I found it to be well worth completing. Now having finished the course I continue with the 'lifestyle' change.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

29-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Thanks Baz - I am finding it fascinating!

There is an excellent section in 'the book' about foods and moods - in other words psychological reasons why our diet goes astray and identifying triggers/habits. As well as making cards and jewellery, I am also a researcher/writer and therefore spend a lot of time sitting with the PC. One of my worst habits was becoming so engrossed in what I was doing I would forget to eat until late - then not want to bother prepping or to cook - just grab a chunk of cheese or a sausage roll and a bag of crisps. Not a healthy diet in anybody's book.

Now - as soon as breakfast is over and the dishes washed - I prep the next meal and leave everything ready just to throw at the oven when the hunger goblins attack. It is working well.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 06:24 PM

I too found the course very interesting, it's nothing like I was expecting. Once you get into it you find it really isn't a diet, it's a change of lifestyle. That for me made it far easier to eat 'the right foods' and didn't miss what I used to eat. Since May 2017 I haven't had one biscuit and very few cakes and currant buns, my downfall before the course.

Learning what is on offer it's soon realised what is better and it's not big changes necessarily. It's the little changes all added together that can make it possible to get to where blood sugar levels can return to how they should be.

I also found it useful to have a couple of apps. for the mobile phone. Using these for a while when shopping I slowly became used to scanning the bar codes and eventually had a lot of foods where I could recall the sugar, salt and fat content on screen, without forever scanning bar codes.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top