Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 03:57 PM

Re: Morbidly Obese.

That is exactly how I get through my craving for cake,sweets,...I don't buy any...I make a lot of cake,it goes straight into the freezer.

I know it sounds daft...but I do have a good word with myself about cake...it works for me....I fibbed,I forgot I bought a box of quality street...just reminded myself..still unopened .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
In my case I became obese due to emotional eating after my Sister and Mum died. I was in a terrible, dark place for 3 years and completely lost myself in grief.
Understandable LQ.

I have approached my doctor regarding surgery on my arms but he said it's considered cosmetic and he is sorry as he knows how much hard work I put into my weight loss.

As I said, I can live with it because I can cover them but some people can become severely depressed with the loose skin issue so I think in some cases it should be available on the NHS, especially when they have put so much hard work into losing the weight.
Would exercises specifically designed for biceps area help you LQ? I know you have a busy life and may not have time to go to a gym - but these could be done at home.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Steroids are indeed a problem Tabby, and I would rather die than take them....I watched my Father in law turn from a very fit ninety year old who walked a mile to the shops every day, deteriorate in a matter of weeks, into being bed bound and finally passing away just weeks after being prescribed them...
Unfortunately steroids are being handed out like smarties these days. I was even offered medication that had them in when I was having problems with 'thing' - I refused! They actually damage your skin from the inside as well piling on the weight.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 07:49 PM

LQ, I don't know that there is ANYTHING harder than losing weight and getting fit. I admire your commitment.

Perhaps you could save up for the surgery if it is that central to your happiness and quality of life?

Pauline asked about exercise. You can tone your muscles beneath the skin, but not the skin itself. Surgery is the only option, but it comes with health risks.

My cousin had bariatric surgery, and though she lost weight, it affected her ability to absorb calcium, which resulted in terrible osteoporosis. She has experienced a bone break almost every time she has fallen since, which now restricts many of the activities that she had hoped to regain from the surgery. Anyone considering this surgery should be well-educated on possible malnutrition issues that can follow due to the body's adjustment and poor nutrient absorbing. Digestion, absorption, and gut bacteria can all be seriously affected.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
LQ, I don't know that there is ANYTHING harder than losing weight and getting fit. I admire your commitment.

Perhaps you could save up for the surgery if it is that central to your happiness and quality of life?

Pauline asked about exercise. You can tone your muscles beneath the skin, but not the skin itself. Surgery is the only option, but it comes with health risks.

My cousin had bariatric surgery, and though she lost weight, it affected her ability to absorb calcium, which resulted in terrible osteoporosis. She has experienced a bone break almost every time she has fallen since, which now restricts many of the activities that she had hoped to regain from the surgery. Anyone considering this surgery should be well-educated on possible malnutrition issues that can follow due to the body's adjustment and poor nutrient absorbing. Digestion, absorption, and gut bacteria can all be seriously affected.
You are right, no amount of exercise on my arms will get rid of the loose skin, it can be helped by building up the muscle but it will always hang loose. I'd like to have surgery on my arms but I'm not brave enough, I'd be too scared of the pain and it getting infected etc. I guess I'll live with the bingo wings, I'm proud of my achievement so perhaps I should celebrate them lol

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top