Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 10:46 PM

Re: The Gardening Year 2014

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Very disappointed to find our new raspberry canes are dead. I didn't think to look for them the other day but was showing Wal the gooseberries and he noticed.
I think we will buying more
The elephant garlic had a couple of flowers, which I snipped off and put in todays stir fry..and so it all starts

I also picked the last two pink parrot tulips and a couple of purple ones for a vase in the kitchen.
Janela I spent a fortune on raspberry canes from garden centers in the last two years first Glen Ample which never got going at all then Glen Lyon, miserable looking things so I pulled them up recently and bought some health and vigorous looking Tulameleen from B&Q and they are doing well so far.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up Meg, we'll go there.
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 07:28 PM

Today we spent some long overdue time in the garden and greenhouse. Toms are potted on as are cues. New seeds sown in the greenhouse are more cues, courgettes, sprouts and skinny beans. Outside in the raised bed we have sown, parsnips, carrots and spinach.

Felt so good to be out there getting mucky
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 09:57 PM

Thinking of starting a few runner beans off in pots shortly. I wasn't sure I wanted the extra work this year, but I do love to pick them and cook them fresh. I haven't room for a veg patch in this garden, so any veg I do grow e.g. carrots, beans, have to be grown in tubs and need a lot of watering and feeding.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thinking of starting a few runner beans off in pots shortly. I wasn't sure I wanted the extra work this year, but I do love to pick them and cook them fresh. I haven't room for a veg patch in this garden, so any veg I do grow e.g. carrots, beans, have to be grown in tubs and need a lot of watering and feeding.
Mups I have some beans in a tub now about 4inches high. I wrap a polyethene sleeve around them at night .
My neighbour had some in a tub last year and they did really well.
The row of beans will go in later.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 10:58 PM

Were they alright with the frosts the last couple of nights Meg?
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 08:16 AM

we missed our allotment when we had to give it up.
our garden is all screed and paved. but we grow, spuds, carrots, runner beans, broad beans, tomatoes, peppers, Cukes, raspberries,gooseberries, blueberries and two miniature apple trees all in tubs!
the problem is keeping the soil enriched and having to bag it up every coupla years and getting it to the tip!

all our outside stuff is covered with fleece at the moment.
P
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

05-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Were they alright with the frosts the last couple of nights Meg?
Yes Mups there are canes on the edge of the tub and I wrap thick polythene around it at night and secure it with strong plastic clothes pegs .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

05-05-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Purdy ->
we missed our allotment when we had to give it up.
our garden is all screed and paved. but we grow, spuds, carrots, runner beans, broad beans, tomatoes, peppers, Cukes, raspberries,gooseberries, blueberries and two miniature apple trees all in tubs!
the problem is keeping the soil enriched and having to bag it up every coupla years and getting it to the tip!

all our outside stuff is covered with fleece at the moment.
P
....that is good Purdy it's amazing what can be grown in tubs.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 10:10 AM

Against my own best advice I planted my beans out yesterday, they really have to take their chances now otherwise they would have become pot bound. Hopefully we have finished with the hard frosts now but I can always fleece them over if one is forecast.

I must say it is proving to be a splendid spring in the garden this year, everything seems to be thriving and all of my fruit has now set including the plums, which we lost last year because of the prolonged cold...

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top