Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 02:02 PM

'Human swan' Sacha Dench to join 4,500-mile migration

A conservationist plans to take flight this autumn alongside thousands of swans as they make a 4,500-mile journey from the Russian arctic to the UK.
Sacha Dench will fly by paramotor - paragliding with a propeller strapped to her back - to get as close as possible to flying as the swans do.
Each night she will land close by to observe their habits and hazards.
She hopes to shed light on the steady decline of Bewick's swans whose numbers have halved in the last 20 years.
The first part of the journey will take her across the Russian tundra, a desolate land of extreme weather and home to polar bears, bears and wolves.
There were no roads for the first 1,000km which meant a ground support crew was not an option, she told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.
Ms Dench, a former free-diving champion, must rely instead on good weather forecasting and nomadic reindeer breeders for help, and will sleep in small huts built by hunters for shelter.
She will meet communities along the swans' flight path across 11 countries, including reindeer herders, farmers and hunters.
More here and a video..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36138082

My goodness what a trip that will be
I would be scared of colliding with the swans or getting cramp or frostbite.

I wish Sasha well with her venture
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 02:05 PM

Re: 'Human swan' Sacha Dench to join 4,500-mile migration

I have a couple of videos of similar journeys usually with geese or cranes.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 02:28 PM

She is going to need a bigger fuel tank.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 05:06 PM

I wish her good luck too. I certainly couldn't do that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top