Join for free
Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Re: How long is a good life?

I don't know what a "sticky beak" is gateau It is natural to want to know what is happening in the world around us and be involved with things, but it is surprising how many older people seem to "turn off" and opt out - maybe becoming too tired and jaded to bother . I think part of the secret of having a good life is to remain interested in things - active in mind and body for as long as you possibly can, even if it is difficult, even painful, sometimes when the challenges associated with older age come along. I wonder if this is what Joan is meaning.
gateau
central queensland
gateau is male  gateau has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2011, 01:22 AM

Sticky beak, some would say nosey bugger, i meant someone who does take an active part in what is going on around them, now we have computers and the world wide web, and, the time, then go for it.
Those that choose to watch TV all day, well, thats their thing, but how could we not search out the wealth of information available to us today, the thing is first by a computer then learn how to use it there are many people, organisations, set up to teach seniors just that, but first people have to get over the fear factor, 5 year olds have no fear and look at them go....what's that saying."life be in it" yahoooooooo
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I don't know what a "sticky beak" is gateau It is natural to want to know what is happening in the world around us and be involved with things, but it is surprising how many older people seem to "turn off" and opt out - maybe becoming too tired and jaded to bother . I think part of the secret of having a good life is to remain interested in things - active in mind and body for as long as you possibly can, even if it is difficult, even painful, sometimes when the challenges associated with older age come along. I wonder if this is what Joan is meaning.
Yes, this is what I mean. The world is so interesting - terrifying sometimes - but I will never become jaded. I became a political activist at 51 in 1996 when a racist MP was elected to my electorate, and I joined both the Labour party and an anti-racist group to ensure it never happened again. (We succeeded - she never got back in)

I went to the university of Queensland part time during my last job, at age 57, and ended up with a BA in French and German with honours in German. When my job vanished from under me - closed down - I did translations online. I've taken an interest in science in my old age too, and wish I could study botany. Perhaps I will.

Most older people I know are still full of it. I did a short U3A camera course and met some truly interesting people in their 70s and 80s as well as relatively young 'uns in their 60s like me.

Those of us who had our teens and twenties in the 1960s still have the spirit of rebellion in us. We will not go quietly into our dotage - many of us will grow old as disgracefully as possible!!!

In fact I was truly disgraceful this morning when I went to feed my chickens in the mud and flowing water that is my garden now in flood ravaged SE Queensland. I came back looking like the swamp creature from hell. Luckily my hen house has a high set sleeping and roosting area about 4 ft off the ground.
gateau
central queensland
gateau is male  gateau has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Dear swamp creature i can see thou will never go quietly into dotage neither should you, it is also obvious you have a good mind and a spirit of adventure and being a swampy will give you green fingers, ha ha.
Let me recommend a book to thee. "the biology of belief" by Bruce Lipton PH.D the science of how thoughts control life.
That will rattle the library shelves of the mind. yipeeeee.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 04:15 PM

I have lived (so far) a full life. Made plenty of mistakes & learned from them, made lots of good friends and lost a few for various reasons. Enjoyed nature to its fullest and ducked & covered when things got out of hand. Earned a buck here-lost it there.
Stuffed my brain with knowledge that promptly started to leak out as I got older.
Not afraid to venture out & stick my neck out-which I am sure it will get chopped off someday.
At 65, I still get hands dirty & enjoy every minute of it.
So yes! If it time, I'm ready to go with no regrets.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Ooooh! religion is never an easy subject.
One in which I generally shy away from cause there are too many beliefs within even a single religion.
I much prefer to believe in nature & let the rest take care of its self.
gateau
central queensland

14-01-2011, 09:47 PM

Dragon, what a good and open assessment of one's life i will drink to that (hic) i'm a little ahead of you somewhat scarred, bark of here and there, a few warts, but very much my own person more apt to say it like it is.
Every day is a good day, the usual difficulties associated with ageing but hell if you have a reasonable level of health, climb of the sleeping couch and get moving, live alone and would not have it any other way being happy with who i see in the mirror every day.
yipeeeee.

Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top