Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Re: How long is a good life?

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I don't think I would want to drag things on very long, if I was unable to take care of myself and had to be reliant on others for all my needs. AB said how long is a "good" life and that's the question - when does it become "not good". When I no longer get pleasure from the things I love and I no longer can appreciate life and the world in the way I do now - I will want to go and I hope I will realise and be able to put things in order beforehand. I think a lot of older people mentally prepare themselves for the last stage - adjusting over a period of years anyway - maybe I am even doing that now and I don't know it. There are worst things than death and I would not want to exist in a "living hell" of pain and infirmity, with no hope of anything better and people having to look after me. I would not want my children to have to see me like it. I hope I can go quickly then when my time comes - perhaps when I am about 90 - if my luck holds. Oh crikey how serious is that.
Well put. When life is no longer good, in whatever way that means for the individual. I don't think the age is important, it is the quality of life.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm ready to go now!!! There's an old saying that says "Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody is willing to die to get there". I always like that one because it's so true. The reward for being a Christian is to die.

There's a joke I've known for years that talks of the writing on an athiest head stone that reads "Here lies Jon Brown, all dressed up & nowhere to go".

I don't fear death at all. I'm in good health and quite happy yet I live by a saying I heard in a famous movie that states, "It's a good day to die". Works for me!
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2010, 12:48 PM

Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody is willing to die to get there".

Heaven has no appeal for me at all if it is the one inhabited by the unpleasant god character in the Bible. Oblivion is what I wish for when I fall off my twig.
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dancingsky ->
Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody is willing to die to get there".

Heaven has no appeal for me at all if it is the one inhabited by the unpleasant god character in the Bible. Oblivion is what I wish for when I fall off my twig.
Oblivion is all we should expect - and this a great reason to enjoy life and all the world has to offer.

To expect our conciousness to survive after our brains are dead and buried or incinerated is illogical. But the thought of a rewarding heaven and a punishing hell have been used as means to control us for centuries.

Not any more. We would not be controlled back in the 60s when we finally demolished our parents' Victorian attitudes, with a little help from the pill, and now that we are older there is no reason to go quietly into oblivion.

Let's be like the Ulysses bikie riders, and grow old as disgracefully as possible!!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2010, 11:36 PM

So, judging from some replies children who sufer for mental deficiency should be put down?

Is all life not worth a chance of better things?
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2010, 11:40 PM

For all those that have responded to the oblivian theory i use that quote, "Here lies Jon/Joan Brown, all dressed up but nowhere to go". Sad!
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
So, judging from some replies children who sufer for mental deficiency should be put down?

Is all life not worth a chance of better things?

Our adopted son has Down's Syndrome and is quite severely mentally disabled, he is a joy and blessing to us.

However someone who has had all their faculties but sinks into dementia would probably wish their life to end, I know I would.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2010, 02:44 PM

I have no problem with the concept of Heaven,and the comfort it brings to many, I just hope that when the Heavenly choir takes me my old man and one or two people are not there.
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
I have no problem with the concept of Heaven,and the comfort it brings to many, I just hope that when the Heavenly choir takes me my old man and one or two people are not there.
I wonder about that too OG but I think the after life is not a copy of life on earth or earthly things. If you read what the bible says about death, there is no night, no day, no crying, no suffering, no hunger or thirst. Our souls do not need earthly things so I feel that it is just a state of perpetual beauty and love. Our souls could just be the size of specks of dust, who knows?
I have, through 3 personal experiences, come to believe that when my life is over here, it is not over for ever and I know I will absolutely live on in another form, a purer form.
It isn't based on a fear of death like so many people who believe have, mine is a belief that I can't prove, see or touch, that is why its called faith, which I acquired through personal experiences which were unexplainable

June x
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 08:54 AM

I always think that what seems supernatural, or inexplicable, will one day be explained by science. I've had some scary experiences, but I keep an open mind. Perhaps quantum physics, and the ideas about multiple dimensions might explain some strange phenomena, such as ghosts.

As for religion - it just doesn't work on me. I tried more than once, but rationality always got in the way.

I do like old churches, harvest festivals, christmas carols, and the quiet tranquility of sitting in a pew and admiring the stained glass windows and ancient architecture.

Then someone brings religion into it and spoils the mood.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top