Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Would you Intervene with Nature?

On these TV ;Nature Documentaries, we are given to understand that those filming and participating should not/do not interfere with anything relating to what they are observing.

For instance a young animal trying to be protected by it's mother from a predator that is about to attack and kill. (Obviously the arguement is that this is what happens in nature, and by interferring, the 'predator' could die of hunger)!

But could you prevent yourself from raising the alarm?!!

Or an animal is injured and/or needs help in some way, you could do something ..... would you?

Although these official Nature Observers say they do not intervene, I wonder how many or how often they might?

Personally, I would. Could not help or stop myself. My reasoning would be that because I am there at that time, and in a position to help relieve or prevent suffering, then that is what I will do!

Rainbow
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 07:38 PM

Re: Would you Intervene with Nature?

Like you Raindow I could not stand there and let it happen, I would have to intervene even if the predator was more powerful than me.

I would trust to my intellect being greater than that of the predator.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 07:58 PM

I couldn't stand back and do nothing, I would do my best to help.

I would probably lose my job on the first day if I was an official Nature observer!
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 08:10 PM

Antibrown and Mags, somehow I don't think we would pass the necessary interview for such a job would we?!!

(They would ask me why I was packing a whistle and First Aid Kit)!

Rainbow

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 08:16 PM

It`s certainly easy to generalise, but every situation would be digfferent, and every animal brings out different emotions. For example would you warn the fish of the sea eagle`s dive, or would you be mesmerised by the majesty of the predator? Would you try to save a rat from the fox, or would you think that the rat deserved what was coming? Nature is full of death, but it has managed the Earth quite well without our help don`t you think?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 08:19 PM

I think that sometimes the programme makers do intervene, perhaps not when they are filming lion and other dangerous animals. For me, apart from not putting myself in danger, it would depend on the situation and whether I thought there could be a positive outcome resulting from intervening.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2011, 07:16 PM

You folks are going to hate me but....
Over the years have seen how mother nature handles things and yes! I have seen death out in the woods. I am NOT hardhearted but I don't intervene.
I cringe, look away, & let the tears roll. Plantman has the right of it & Mother Nature does know best.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

15-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Why should we "hate you"????

People react/respond differently to various situations.

Life would be rather bland and grey if we were all clones!

Have never liked to conform just to please others either.

Rainbow
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2011, 07:56 PM

I have never conformed but I am a newbie here & don't know how some of you will react to various things.
By the way-got a few pics. upload & on here.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2011, 10:18 PM

Well ... I don't post often and so hope I don't offend or seem outspoken.

If I see a hunting bird in my neighbourhood I cringe .. yes I do ... but know that that bird has to feed itself or feed it's young.
Not pleasant ... but necessary.

But ... I don't like these nature programmes where those 'alleging' to be concerned about animals welfare step back ... shed a few crocodile tears and say they can't intervene.

If we hadn't decimated their habitat or ousted them out with our own overpopulation in the first place perhaps a lot of animals wouldn't be in danger of extinction.

Survival of the fittest and animals hunting to survive can hardly work the same balanced way now we've upset the system.
Quite frankly I find a lot of these presenters to be absolute hypocrites. They are of the same ilk who would find a good excuse to justify fox hunting.

And boy do I feel better for getting that off my chest!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top