Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 01:10 AM

What am I doing????

Have you ever found yourself doing something - and suddenly thought; "WHAT AM I DOING"?!!!!!

I am very uneasy and wary of snakes. While walking my dogs, I came across a small grass snake (size was immaterial, it may well have been 6ft long)! I realised it was obviously an escaped or abandoned pet, and carefully managed to get it into a dog poo bag, threaded a stick through the handles of the bag and walked very carefully back to the car (anyone watching would have thought I was carrying a bomb)!

Took the snake to my Vet. Was nervous the snake would start leaping about, did not realise at the time that the cold weather was keeping it inactive.

On explaining the situation, and not knowing at the time that it was a harmless grass snake, we were waiting for a reptile experienced Vet to become available.

After a while, I was worried that the snake had not apparently moved, I stood at the Counter and very, very slowly and carefully begun to undo the ties to peek. Two Receptionists, a Nurse and three waiting clients gathered around me...... You could hear a pin drop, and sorry, but I simply could not resist, I suddenly gave a startled cry ..... EVERYONE LEAPED AWAY!!

Thankfully, we all saw the funny side. This did have a happy ending. Another Nurse was keen on reptiles and kept Grass Snakes. She ended up keeping this little chap.

Rainbow
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 01:22 AM

Re: What am I doing????

I'm glad you overcame your fear.

Sort of
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 01:24 AM

Overcame my fear????? You are joking!!!!

That was why I called this thread: "What Am I Doing"!

Rainbow
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 03:29 AM

That was gutsy of you! I'm not snake phobic at all, had many as pets when young .... but if that had been someone's pet tarantula I would have been half a mile away still screaming!!!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 08:07 AM

Good of you to pick up a snake and take it to the vet but how did you know it was a grass snake?

There are a few Adders aropund where we walk and you have to watch out for them, particularly if it is wet.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Why would you want to pick it up and take it anywhere? How did you work out that it was an abandoned pet, did it have a collar? Was it injured or something? Wouldn`t it have been happier if you had just minded your own business and left it alone? What was your rationale?
Rainbow
Surrey UK

14-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Hello Antibrown & Plantman,

I did not realise what type of snake it was until we had been to the Vet.

You are more likely to see an adder in hot weather when they are inclined to bask. This was a very cold day, and very unusual to see, particularly in this location. It did not LOOK healthy, in fact I had at first thought it was one of those plastic toys.

"Was it wearing a collar"?
It was unusual to see a snake in this area (even in hot weather). Also it was quite small and clearly was either unwell or not used to outdoor conditions. I had immediately imagined this snake in one of those special glass indoor environments (not sure what they are called), and thought it may have escaped. The Vet Nurse agreed that may have been most likely.

I considered that I was "minding my own business" by being aware with consideration of something possibly in need of help. Obviously, I could have been wrong, but I acted instinctively to try to help what appeared to be a creature in need. (A VERY gentle touch with a small piece of wood, had no reaction whatsoever)!

Had all been well after visiting the Vet, and it was 'wild', then I would have returned it to the same location. Glad to know that it was helped back to full health and given a good new home.

Hope that explains your queries.

Kind Regards,
Rainbow
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 01:34 PM

You were brave to get the snake in a bag, Rainbow - I don't think I could have touched it ..... *shivers at the thought!*
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 02:33 PM

ROFLMAO
As a wildlife artist who spends a great deal of time "out in the wild", I can't resist replying to this post. Some of the replies given are priceless.
For your own safety & that of ANY wildlife you happen across in your walks-it is best not to touch. It can be hard letting nature take care of its own but it is a lesson that can be learned the hard way. Please do be careful in future.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

14-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
You were brave to get the snake in a bag, Rainbow - I don't think I could have touched it ..... *shivers at the thought!*

"Brave"? Mags, no, more like completely barmy!!!

Rainbow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top