Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Re: Gadget Friday

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Still below normal here: sunny, minus 3 (27 F), not windy. May be a very slight warmup over the weekend.

Bob, I got a Kindle for Christmas, love it! Do tell me if you like yours. I don't know what generes you enjoy, but I believe it's possible to exchange books .

Barry, I'm having the back garden redone this year. but the landscaper will to the flagstones .. at horrifying cost. no doubt. Had the front done about 13 years ago pricey then.
I've been using the free Amazon "Kindle For PC" software for months already. I have a collection of 11 Kindle books at this point, most are books about photography. I have always been a lover of science fiction novels and have actually located books by E E Smith that were written in the 1930s. I discovered, with this search, that there were many more titles written by "Doc" Smith than I had access to as a young boy. Of course, when I was young, I used the library to discover his tales. The Kindle was to have arrived yesterday so I hope it comes today. If not, I'll be on the phone to Amazon to find out what happened. Let me know how you're getting along with yours.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2011, 03:29 AM

I've been a life long science fiction fan, as a kid used to read my Dad's Amazing and Astounding. Although I'm more of a fan of the soft rather than the hard science ... prefer the women's angle, love Anne McCaffrey for example. Right now I'm reading a classic "Floating Worlds" by Cecelia Holland ... and truthfully, not too impressed by it.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2011, 03:51 AM

Right now I'm reading "Triplanetary" by E E Smith. It was the first of his largest series. I just got my kindle but was disappointed that they hadn't registered the kindle since I bought it from them with my Amazon account. I can't remember my wi-fi network passwork so I can get on my network to register the reader. My best friend and computer guru set up my network but he's working. I'm stuck until I can get to McDonald's or my friend responds to my text message. I'm not a patient person and hate to wait. I want to get on with loading my books and music. I can do so tonight but can't read the books until I register.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2011, 05:17 PM

That's odd. I bought mine with my Amazon One Click, and it did come pre-registered. Good luck!
bobmielke
Portland, OR

15-01-2011, 06:55 PM

It was odd indeed. As soon as I made a valid wi-fi connection it registered to my account instantly. All is working fine now. I love it. The internet connection works great. Such things as Google, Wikipedia, & my email provider work great.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

15-01-2011, 10:47 PM

How do I get onto Google from the Kindle? I don't have wi-fi, but my Kindle is the one with the free built in access. And you can get your e-mail too? The booklet that came with it doesn't explain any of that, Bob.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

16-01-2011, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
How do I get onto Google from the Kindle? I don't have wi-fi, but my Kindle is the one with the free built in access. And you can get your e-mail too? The booklet that came with it doesn't explain any of that, Bob.
With internet turned on press Menu - Experimental - Menu - Launch Browser - Menu - Enter URL -"http://google.com" - press center selection key.

To get your email do the same as above with the URL of your email provider. For example: "http://www.gmail.com" .
Then fill in your USERNAME & PASSWORD.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top