Join for free
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2011, 09:37 PM

4 week old kittens

We took in a stray at our shop, not knowing she was pregnant. Her triplets are 4 weeks old now and I get a kick out of watching them grow.

Two questions: (1) Anybody know when to introduce solid food? They've approached the mum's water dish and food but only dabble paws in the water and smack the kibble around for fun.

(2) We want to spay the mum - what's the best timing? She's still nursing of course.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2011, 10:36 PM

Re: 4 week old kittens

That's very kind of you Annie Jack looking after mum and kittens. Don't know the answer to your first question, but I believe mum can be speyed once kittens are fully weaned and her milk has dried up-that was the advice given at the Vets where I used to work. Am sure someone on here will come up with some advice for you regarding introducing solid food....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2011, 10:47 PM

Hello Annie Jack

You should start to wean the kittens at 4 weeks old, it's about that age when the mother cat starts refusing the kittens to nurse. This link may help you .....

http://petcaretips.net/weaning_kitten.html

Our sister site, http://www.catsey.com/cat-forums.php
will also be able to help you with any other questions you may have regarding the kittens.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2011, 02:50 AM

Thanks Mags! They're 4 weeks and 4 days now and have been eating kitten food for a couple of days. There's been some success with the litter box too, and their energy level has skyrocketed. What's more fun than a trio of kittens?
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Glad the kittens are doing well Annie Jack...sounds like you and the kittens are having fun.......
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

22-04-2011, 03:43 AM

Very much so! I certainly plan on finding good homes for them but I admit it will be hard to see them go.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

22-04-2011, 11:24 PM

Today all 3 kittens learned to escape the fenced in area where I have their bedding, litter box, food and water! The mom cat even stretched up to touch noses with one, offering encouragement (or so I chose to see it) as it struggled to get over the fence. I'm delighted at how energetic and healthy they are and have a couple of inquiries re adoption. As my sister is a vet I'll have them checked first.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top