Join for free
Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 11:51 AM

Re: Does The ‘Council House Mentality’ Still Exist?

In the olden days council properties were built for those unable to afford to purchase a property I believe and many were available for young couples and families some bought theirs etcetc .
I also think these properties are subsidised to help keep the rent lower than the private sector which is good but there are some I know who live in subsidised housing with huge incomes which says they could afford to buy and move on to allow a young family on low income in .
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 11:55 AM

Thought that the question about the existence of "council house mentality" was asking whether "Chavs" still exist.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:12 PM

This is the row of houses that Jeff Lynne (ELO) and Roger Taylor (Duran Duran), were bought up in, just shows, if you are focused, have drive and lucky breaks, it ain't where you start its where you finish.

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
In the olden days council properties were built for those unable to afford to purchase a property I believe and many were available for young couples and families some bought theirs etcetc .
I also think these properties are subsidised to help keep the rent lower than the private sector which is good but there are some I know who live in subsidised housing with huge incomes which says they could afford to buy and move on to allow a young family on low income in .
Susan, l did a B-Tech in Housing Studies where the history of council housing was part of it.
The houses were built originally for soldiers coming home when the second world war ended... They were described as ‘Homes Fit For Heroes’.
There was a shortage of building materials and that’s why many were built using re-inforced concrete panels.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Thought that the question about the existence of "council house mentality" was asking whether "Chavs" still exist.
Dextrous, Honestly, ‘Chavs’ hadn’t crossed my mind but l suppose most threads expand into other areas of a particular subject.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Dextrous, Honestly, ‘Chavs’ hadn’t crossed my mind but l suppose most threads expand into other areas of a particular subject.
No problems. Just seems that most people are answering questions about the existence of council houses, and not stereotypical council house mentality, which is what I thought you were asking.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:44 PM

We lived in a council house for about 7 years. We had neighbours we got on well with and had some happy times there.

When we first moved in, the rainwater down-pipe at the front of the house had a chunk broken off it right at the top (made of asbestos). The rainwater poured down onto the concrete below instead of running into the down-pipe. It made quite a racket every time it rained. The house had been empty for a while and although the neighbours had phoned the council about the pipe, nothing had been done.

There was no way I was going to put up with that noise so I borrowed a ladder, got up there and wrapped a bit of flashing tape around it. Lots quicker than calling the council. The neighbours were surprised I did the job when the council were responsible. Almost unheard of I think. They were glad the noise had stopped though.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

24-02-2021, 12:52 PM

When my brother moved to a council house in the east Midlands, he eventually decided to buy it. By luck, the council was in the process of upgrading their stock, so my brother decided to wait until the work was done before buying. Alas, the quality of the work carried out by the contractors was absolutely appalling, with no quality control performed by the council or anyone else. No private home owner would have accepted it if they were paying for it privately.

So, there does seem to be an assumed council house mentality employed by some contractors.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-02-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
When my brother moved to a council house in the east Midlands, he eventually decided to buy it. By luck, the council was in the process of upgrading their stock, so my brother decided to wait until the work was done before buying. Alas, the quality of the work carried out by the contractors was absolutely appalling, with no quality control performed by the council or anyone else. No private home owner would have accepted it if they were paying for it privately.

So, there does seem to be an assumed council house mentality employed by some contractors.
Maybe, it’s because its because all the works were put out for tender and the councils usually took the lowest bid.
You only get what you pay for because all the good companies couldn’t match the lower bids.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:13 PM

Art, i am the high ranking “ CHAV” on my estate.....😂🤣😅......

I asked my son last, do you think I’m “ chavy “ course not mum....😂🤣😅...

Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top