Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 12:40 PM

Americans love our TV

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/cre...americas-soul/

[QUOTE] British television seems to be acting as a soothing balm to American viewers who are tired – tired of both the preponderance of dark, complex US series, as well as tired of living through the pandemic.

“BritBox offers incredible series which are considered ‘escape viewing’,” says Powers. “Our favourite series are often cosy mysteries that provide familiar formats in beautiful countryside or tropical locations, which are enjoyable to watch and rewatch not only individually but also with spouses, kids, and loved ones who might be stuck at home together.”

Covid has given many Americans the opportunity to discover British television for the first time. “It can’t be overstated how much the pandemic allowed people to dive into things they might not otherwise watch,” says Maureen Ryan, contributing editor at Vanity Fair and a self-confessed Anglophile. “Thank you, Britain, for churning out this string of reassuringly formulaic (in a good way) reality TV that somehow restores shreds of faith in humanity at a very dark time.” [/QUOTE

All Creatures a winner around the world.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 01:33 PM

Re: Americans love our TV

My pal in America loves British TV programs. Particularly the costume dramas & programs with cops & murders in them.
I am with her on the first, but not the second.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 01:41 PM

Perhaps our American members can update us on which ones are popular. I would imagine it's programmes such as Lewis, Morse, Whitechapel, Line of Duty etc.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Perhaps our American members can update us on which ones are popular. I would imagine it's programmes such as Lewis, Morse, Whitechapel, Line of Duty etc.
My pal loves Shetland, she said the scenery was beautiful. Now that was one cop show I did watch.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
My pal loves Shetland, she said the scenery was beautiful. Now that was one cop show I did watch.
We tried watching Shetland the first time round but couldn't understand what they were saying. Now, we use sub titles for anything like that. It's on one of the streaming channels at the moment but not free.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 03:26 PM

I've just send an email to my American chums asking if they watch any UK shows.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 03:41 PM

I don't know that much about British TV, except to say that I a very much appreciate the production value and subtle humor in of several movies and shows that I have seen.

I took a peek at Britbox sometime back, but passed because 90% of the offerings are crime dramas and and murder mysteries and the other near 10% are Austen remakes.

Not that any of the above are bad (our general programming here is the pits), I just wouldn't watch it enough to make the subscription worth it.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 03:48 PM

We tried watching Shetland the first time round but couldn't understand what they were saying. Now, we use sub titles for anything like that. It's on one of the streaming channels at the moment but not free.

One of my favourite cop series, even better as I have been to a lot of the places on the islands and recognise then, especially in and around Lerwick.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

28-04-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
One of my favourite cop series, even better as I have been to a lot of the places on the island and recognise then, especially in and around Lerwick.
I would love to visit Shetland. One day maybe.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 03:52 PM

I would love to visit Shetland. One day maybe.
It's a fabulous place, LD. I spent a week there back in the early 1980s exploring the place. The only things I can remember now, though, were the lack of trees and the number of abandoned wrecked cars lying around in fields.

One of my chums has replied. He and his wife are watching "Pie In The Sky" at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top