Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:38 PM

Re: Five portions or Five Colours.

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I hope this doesn't come across as racist, but how many people grew up being told to finish everything on their plates because "there are people starving in Africa who would love to eat that, so get it eaten!"?
Yes, I was told that. I had visions of my pie and chips on a plane to Ethiopia.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I hope this doesn't come across as racist, but how many people grew up being told to finish everything on their plates because "there are people starving in Africa who would love to eat that, so get it eaten!"?
Me too, that often was the usual comment.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, I was told that. I had visions of my pie and chips on a plane to Ethiopia.
I don't know about visions of pie and chips on a plate to Ethiopia LD! However, if I did not finish the meal that was served, I was left sitting at the table until it was finished. Even then though if the plate was not cleared, it would be served up the next day.

There was none of today's spoilt way of living either, with each member of the family expecting a different meal. It was one type of meal for that particular day and all in the family would have the same. We always knew what was for dinner, depending on what day it was. Also there were none of today's fussy eaters either. That today probably accounts for each child in the family expecting a different meal. In my early days food was rationed, waste just wasn't tolerated.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Me too, that often was the usual comment.

I was left sitting at the table until it was finished. Even then though if the plate was not cleared, it would be served up the next day.
I know that feeling. I got the previous nights meal of mince and mashed potatoes served up for breakfast due to not finishing it the night before Wasn't even heated up either, bleugh!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top