Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Petra
Essex
Petra is female  Petra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 07:43 PM

Re: Whatever next in discrimination?

Hi Pixie.
I'm confused when you say your friend has "no ethnic influences around her"
Does she not watch television, read newspapers, social media?
Or have I got it wrong?
I live in a very diverse town ( southend on sea) but even if I didn't I would still be very aware of other cultures.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Petra ->
Hi Pixie.
I'm confused when you say your friend has "no ethnic influences around her"
Does she not watch television, read newspapers, social media?
Or have I got it wrong?
I live in a very diverse town ( southend on sea) but even if I didn't I would still be very aware of other cultures.
Yes Petra, she is exposed to all that social media, and is aware of other cultures - however, what she needs is someone to bounce ideas off. Y'know, in that casual way you would in friendship. Its not like she can go on Instagram and ask questions that might (inadvertently) be deemed offensive. I thinks she just feels really awkward about the whole matter, to be honest. I mean, like she said to me...."I don't draw disabled people but nobody says anything about that!"
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There is also a stigma regarding ginger people but you never hear them complaining; look at the abuse bald people get.
The ginger thing seems to me relatively recent (last 20 years or so). I've had ginger hair for the past 73 years and never once had a negative (or even bantery) comment about it. As a child I was occasionally called 'Ginger Nob' by adults but always in an affectionate way.

On a slightly different aspect which was mentioned above, I could understand people asking to touch a black person's hair back in the 50's and 60's when black faces were rare in our streets, but nowadays????? Seems pretty unlikely to me!
Petra
Essex
Petra is female  Petra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 08:21 PM

Pixie. I see. Bit of a problem.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I have an artist friend who does animation. Now, being Scottish and having no ethnic influences around her, she draws western style people. Recently she got criticised for not being more diverse and including other cultures in her work. She has no knowledge, connection, relevance to other cultures and is now concerned that she could possibly portray them inaccurately. Tying herself in knots over it, its a shame.
How is her hairstyle? Neat or wild?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 10:47 PM

It's just a shitty world and I'm glad I'm at this end of it....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
The ginger thing seems to me relatively recent (last 20 years or so). I've had ginger hair for the past 73 years and never once had a negative (or even bantery) comment about it. As a child I was occasionally called 'Ginger Nob' by adults but always in an affectionate way.

On a slightly different aspect which was mentioned above, I could understand people asking to touch a black person's hair back in the 50's and 60's when black faces were rare in our streets, but nowadays????? Seems pretty unlikely to me!
Seriously? I remember gingers being terrorised since childhood. Some less than others. There were about four or five redheads in my (girls) high school class. Only one was mercilessly victimised for her red hair. She was the least attractive of them. Dumpy, short, plain and with really carrot coloured hair. The others were more confident, intelligent and (mostly) really good looking. I recall hearing she was very hurt by it. She clung to the cool crowd but was on the outside always abused. There were two redheads who were best friends and one better looking that the other more auburn, but her glamour trickled to the taller less attractive BFF. I think they both had Scottish heritage. Then there was a very posh redhead who lived in a mansion type amazing house and had celebrity relatives. All but the dumpy victimised redhead were totally loved by teachers for their confident flame haired charm. So there are different shades of red haired prejudice. Just my observation of a small sample!

NB totally separate topic but I have always had a soft spot for red haired men. No idea why but they tick all the boxes. not for lasting love but for passion
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Which end is that OGF ??
The shitty or th other ?

Donkeyman!! 🤗🤗
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Its only that way because of people. Worlds are one thing, the planet is different.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 11:22 PM

Not only was dad ginger but Irish ..
I remember as a child going to the seaside and seeing boarding houses with signs no dogs, no blacks , no Irish.

My grandmother who never lost her Dublin accent was spat on in the street for being Irish.
Discrimination and hatred is everywhere.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top