Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Re: 'Dont Cap My Benefits'

Now I am reeeeeally screaming at the telly. Aaaarrrgghhhhhhhhhhhh
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 10:34 PM

I'm not watching this or the gypsy one, the poor guy with no legs on the skateboard in the ad deserves help.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Now I am reeeeeally screaming at the telly. Aaaarrrgghhhhhhhhhhhh
Jazzi - I presume you are screaming at the injustice of it, that's why I couldn't watch !
I made the mistake of watching the previous Panorama on the councils hiring private bailiffs to get at the motorists who don't pay a parking fine - it was outrageous !! Went to bed depressed.
The fine ends up over a thousand to pay and the bailiffs are just yobs !
This country has gone down in recent years and no mistake !!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 07:30 AM

From what I am seeing there are some people who deserve to have the amount they are paid capped - sorry I know that sounds harsh but we can't working afford to live in some of these places even here we are now struggling and are well aware we will have to move eventually to something cheaper. I can't see why on benefit that should be different.

But there are also people who don't deserve it and the problem is landlords grasping for more and more money.

The entire system is flawed and tinkering with it like this isn't going to help anyone.

I always come back to the fact there are not enough council properties and not enough jobs so something has to be done.

Tanya was particularly annoying to me when I see how my Niece has been working since 6 weeks after she had her daughter despite her daughter being ill she just knew she had to get on with it and do it, if she had a husband she could have stayed home but on her own she had to work.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 08:01 AM

Erm Patsy, no, not the injstice at all! I'm talking about people coming in to this country, having a huge family, and dictating to the council, using emotional blackmail, to get what they want!!!!! And another family too.

THAT is what I was angry about. I thought Brent Council officials acted superbly in the circumstances, and agreed with every word they said to the tenants.

I knew I shouldn't have watched it just before bedtime.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Yes 5 and 7 children really is not feasible if you are working so shouldn't be feasible on benefit either !

I won't say anything about the people's ethnicities because we don't know why or how they ended up here they may well be fleeing form persecution in their own country so we do need to provide someway to help them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Erm Patsy, no, not the injstice at all! I'm talking about people coming in to this country, having a huge family, and dictating to the council, using emotional blackmail, to get what they want!!!!! And another family too.

THAT is what I was angry about. I thought Brent Council officials acted superbly in the circumstances, and agreed with every word they said to the tenants.

I knew I shouldn't have watched it just before bedtime.
No need to 'erm' Jazzi - I made it clear I hadn't watched it.
I see what you're saying now and again, pleased I didn't bother. I saw a similar one a few months back on the lines of what you describe. Not good.
I agree - don't watch these things 'before' bed .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

11-04-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
No need to 'erm' Jazzi - I made it clear I hadn't watched it.
I see what you're saying now and again, pleased I didn't bother. I saw a similar one a few months back on the lines of what you describe. Not good.
I agree - don't watch these things 'before' bed .....
Sorry Patsy, I thought from your comments that you had seen it.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Well after my comments at the beginning of this post I did watch on your behalf Patsy
I had mixed feelings about it really. The rents on those houses were just
ridiculous and some were double what my son is paying on a mortgage a month and these were for a week. That's greedy landlords. I thought it was a bit silly that they have already moved over 280 families out of Brent Council to Birmingham mostly. Of all places.
The guy with 7 kids I can talk about as he has been in the UK for 12 years
and has had the 7 kids since he got here as they are all under 9. Been on benefits and now has a small part time job of £150 a week.
He did get put into a different area 30 miles from his job and from the kids school. As he tried it and still came the 30 miles a day to his job and take the kids to the same school Brent council did give him a new place in Brent again as they thought he deserved it. He had a car so where has that come from?
My bind with it was some of the non born English were so ungrateful for their new houses given somewhere else. One woman was in a two roomed B and B place which was £616 a week and when she got a 3 bedroomed house complained that the kitchen was in the lounge and that was not a lounge to her way of thinking. She did not work and had lived here for 8 years.
That weekly rent is more than I get to live on a month and my family have lived in England since I traced them back to 1550. That's my moan about the programme. I couldn't live in London in the 1970's because of the high living costs and why you think you can do it with 7 kids and no money I don't know.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Great post Sandy and thanks, really put me in the picture.
Saw a similar programme last year. Our people along with a Muslim woman viewing council flats. The muslim woman was adamant to take nothing but the best and after viewing 3 flats refused, she did get the best. It was beautiful - while our folk looked on bewildered.
It was not easy viewing at all, which is why I dismissed this one, also I thought some people would be genuine and getting a very rough deal.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top