Join for free
Page 4 of 31 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Re: I'd like to see you....

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
I just put it up there to boast!
Hmmm - maybe taken a few years ago Ciderman - but I've known you long enough to know it's you.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 10:00 AM

No I never show My mug on My avatar..just cos..but I do occasionally have a pic' of My 50yr old self in My Profile...and that's still the way I look now,I haven't changed a bit
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've said things on here about people I know. Because I'm not identified I can say what I think. I would not speak my mind if I were identifiable.
We are too relaxed about sharing our identity in a world that is hungry for just that.
Relaxed and very naive I think

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Excellent question, Carol

I understand why some people are so terrified about showing their face.
Some are maybe professional people such as teachers, doctors, lawyers etc. Others may be going through a divorce or perhaps they are posting on here incognito and don't want their OH's knowing (for some reason).
Professional people such as those you mention are warned of the dangers of using social media

Originally Posted by Floydy
What's the secrecy? Why are they wanting to be so mysterious?
We're not going to steal your image for a passport are we?
Get real Floydy...You might not be going to but there are plenty out there who would!

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

It's only your face, so why on earth not let's see it?
Just a bit of it then!!
And if you take a look into someone's profile there are often photos of them in there.

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You are what you post, not what your avatar is. People can judge what kind of person you are by the way you present yourself in your writing.
Absolutely agree
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 10:52 AM

I just remembered that even in the chat room there was a very secretive guy I was friends with who was a big personality in that group. But he was like marmite. There was one guy who hated him to the point of finding out his first name and then issuing threats that he would turn up at his house and do something when he was sleeping. This was in the days way before facebook so nobody put their real name online. So you may have lots of friends in an online group but you never know who is reading posts and has different motives.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Ah well now swims - if you've shown your face to Art & Rhian why won't you show it to me?
I'm no stunning beauty - just Mrs ordinary.
You are gorgeous miss Carol and also your beauty shows in your personality which I love.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You are what you post, not what your avatar is. People can judge what kind of person you are by the way you present yourself in your writing.

Completely agree.
More can be gleaned from how you think and what you say, than from any photo.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
You are gorgeous miss Carol and also your beauty shows in your personality which I love.
Aw thanks Queenie. I like you too.x

Re: avatar pictures:

It's just I think that showing your pic shows an openness and willingness to be friends.

People who don't use their pictures - it's like they've just come for the discussion and nothing else.

That's ok I suppose...
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've said things on here about people I know. Because I'm not identified I can say what I think. I would not speak my mind if I were identifiable. We are too relaxed about sharing our identity in a world that is hungry for just that.
I can relate to that Annie. Being incognito gives you more freedom to talk about what you’d like

It's just I think that showing your pic shows an openness and willingness to be friends.

People who don't use their pictures - it's like they've just come for the discussion and nothing else.

That's ok I suppose...
People who don’t use pictures - it’s like they’ve just come for the discussion and nothing else?

Well Carol, it IS a discussion board after all, made for discussing so if that’s all people are wishing to do then it proves that they know what the place is for.

Adding an avatar picture merely shows that a member knows how to add an avatar picture. That’s it. It could be a picture they scooped from online, a picture of them from ten years ago
or their next door neighbour. We don’t know.

Someone using a picture of them self in an avatar merely tells me that they’ve found a picture that they like and have chosen to use it.

I have a friend who is a psychologist. She works with the church helping war veterans, many which have serious PTSD.
Her life could be in jeopardy if she revealed herself online.

There are many legit reasons for wanting to stay incognito which I happen to respect. It’s great that you have the one picture you like to share of yourself but to be brutally honest it doesn’t make one bit of difference to me.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:56 AM

I don't think that applies to anybody on here. Some I see on face-book so I know they're who they say they are.

Hmm - maybe there's the odd one.. Is it you Floydy? Are you really a little wimp and not that handsome muscular man at all.
Do I look like a little wimp in my new photo Carol?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

24-05-2019, 12:00 PM

Some members don't put anything in their profile either.

I filled mine in & I like to read about other members on their profile page..

I just like to know the person behind the posts.

We are supposed to be a friendly group after all.

Page 4 of 31 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top