Join for free
Page 21 of 28 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 02:31 AM

Re: Had enough of the UK

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Definitely Canada Gumbud. I had a dream last night. We were in The Rockies in some sort of an outdoor leisure complex. Didn't want to wake up it was so beautiful. I got to thinking that maybe it wasn't out of reach - perhaps it would be possible to live there for a few months a year and a few months here. I am fully awake now.
The only problem with Canada is that it is only habitable for 5 months of the year for the rest it is too bloody cold.

Interesting looking place though - never been there it was one of the three countries I applied to go to when I was 19 (Oz won)
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The only problem with Canada is that it is only habitable for 5 months of the year for the rest it is too bloody cold.

Interesting looking place though - never been there it was one of the three countries I applied to go to when I was 19 (Oz won)
ya could toss a coin between the two!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 10:40 AM

I think we take the UK for granted.... but I have to admit I have suggested to my kids that they emigrate...only because the place is so full and multiculturalism hasn't really worked in the area around me...I'm not being racist saying that but it's a fact people have not integrated on the whole.

Both my kids have spent time in Australia but ruled it out as a destination...I loved Canada but as others have said it's a harsh climate....New Zealand is a possible .. but I have a feeling neither will actually leave.they like the UK too much.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 11:59 AM

I think HK did it for me - I could have stayed in UK all my life of course, but once I'd got out and seen how 'the other half of the world lived' I was keen to see more. Having an old working mate living in OZ was useful too and I also had mates in CA but had lost touch with them. My father was an armchair traveller so maybe I had a gene passed on - but Uk just came a bit boring and then there was fighting in my kids schools with knives and that made up my mind!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think we take the UK for granted.... but I have to admit I have suggested to my kids that they emigrate...only because the place is so full and multiculturalism hasn't really worked in the area around me...I'm not being racist saying that but it's a fact people have not integrated on the whole.

Both my kids have spent time in Australia but ruled it out as a destination...I loved Canada but as others have said it's a harsh climate....New Zealand is a possible .. but I have a feeling neither will actually leave.they like the UK too much.
I have lived a generally very happy life here in Britain. There is a great deal to be said for it, and I consider myself very lucky to have been born in this country.

However, things change.

Over many years I have seen deterioration in many aspects of life in this country. I shall not list everything here; I have listed many on another thread.

The problem is that there seems to be no will to change some things for the better, I'm afraid.

If, like you Summer, we had children I would have been urging them to emigrate before now.

Australia and New Zealand would be nice, especially New Zealand from what I have seen from the landscapes, but they are too far away from anywhere else!

Canada is another good idea though, as others have said, much of the country is far too cold.

It wouldn't have to be an English-speaking country, of course, but speaking the same language would be advantageous.

Much of Europe would be a nice place to live, but only when the EU has collapsed and individual countries can make their own rules and no longer suffer having to subsidise hundreds of unnecessary self-serving politicians. Many people in Europe speak English anyway - some better than many of our own people do too! Did I mention education in my earlier list?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I like the UK, it's just the Politicians I cannot stand.
Me too , especially that conniving woman May . She is an utter disgrace . Couldn"t give a fig about GB.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

18-03-2019, 03:29 PM

I too had a good life in UK and left as I have said before in the early '80's. But without wanting to create an argument I can never see it being the same as say the 60's or 70's - I experienced the austere years immediately post war and then those exciting changes of the 60's a pop music arriving so I suppose I never experienced the surge of multiculturalism as exists today?

despite working in a hospital with 37 different nationalities!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I too had a good life in UK and left as I have said before in the early '80's. But without wanting to create an argument I can never see it being the same as say the 60's or 70's - I experienced the austere years immediately post war and then those exciting changes of the 60's a pop music arriving so I suppose I never experienced the surge of multiculturalism as exists today?

despite working in a hospital with 37 different nationalities!
I was a child in the 1950s and the UK was a lovely place, perhaps its best years since the war.

I was a young man in the 1960s and that was quite a good decade as well, though I have never been a fan of pop music!

I began working in 1968 and as the '70s progressed I experienced the bad years of the UK, largely thanks to unions.

The '80s and '90s were much better and Margaret Thatcher was, in my humble opinion, the best PM I remember.

Since then, I'm afraid our politicians have become, bit by bit, more incompetent, self-supporting and even corrupt. This has resulted in the state the country is in right now.

Can it get even worse?

Could it, perhaps, be rescued and revived?
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I was a child in the 1950s and the UK was a lovely place, perhaps its best years since the war.

I was a young man in the 1960s and that was quite a good decade as well, though I have never been a fan of pop music!

I began working in 1968 and as the '70s progressed I experienced the bad years of the UK, largely thanks to unions.

The '80s and '90s were much better and Margaret Thatcher was, in my humble opinion, the best PM I remember.

Since then, I'm afraid our politicians have become, bit by bit, more incompetent, self-supporting and even corrupt. This has resulted in the state the country is in right now.

Can it get even worse?

Could it, perhaps, be rescued and revived?
No, it can't. You can stand-still (maybe); but you can't go backwards. Forwards is the only way, even if it's into something you not keen on.

All of what you say may be heartfelt, but it's just a symptom of the aging process, especially as people hit their (say) late 40s..

Every generation thinks that everything was better 30-40 years ago.

Bet if you had asked you mother or father, they'd have felt the same.

For instance: the 1960s were no fun for many middle-aged people - they were convinced that with hippies, LSD, Vietnam, the contraceptive pill, abortion, protest marches, and God knows what else, the whole world was caving-in. It must have felt like a madhouse!

Adjusting to change may not be easy for any of us; but it is a hoary myth that everything in society was "better" when we were younger.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 05:19 PM

I'd love to go somewhere else to live eventually but where would you choose? Even quiet, placid places like New Zealand or Holland are dangerous.
There would be so many questions before you'd choose the right place. And then there's the weather: floods, fires, earthquakes....

Page 21 of 28 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top