Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Re: Harry & Meghan's contempt for the British Public.

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I mostly appreciate your posts Shropshiregirl, but on this issue I don't share the same view.

Archie is not a Prince and he doesn't have a title. Archie does have American parentage and I don't think Harry or Meghan are doing anything wrong really. They've ditched the Royal tradition.
Just because some of us might feel we have had our noses put out, we have to respect them and their lives.
If we don't like the press given to them (which is fairly obvious from most ant-Royals on this platform) then we shouldn't moan at the privacy they prefer.
Her choice, she does not belong to the UK .

That's the trouble with the UK public, we are very fickle.
I wish my wife and me would have had harry/megan's sense when our first was born. Grandparents from both sides claimed the baby, showering us with best-meant advice. Making the mother unsure, worried. I would have driven them from our house. My wife was eager to keep the family ties intact.
What a relief that young, modern people stick up a finger to protocol, media claims, and women who want the privilige to have the first glimpse of the baby.
Let those young parents enjoy their baby son as long as they can. Society will claim their lives soon enough. Now is their moment, their choices, don't begrudge it to them or those they chose to show their baby.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Shroppy, my apologies if I upset you, I didn't mean to.

When I said about people always finding fault etc, it was the reporters and newspapers I had in mind. The way they love to find something negative and stir up trouble.
You remember that idiot Danny Baker recently getting the sack because of his stupid tweet about the new baby being like a young Ape?
Then there has been the ongoing bad publicity from her dreadful family back in the USA?
I am not surprised they want to keep to themselves.

For all we know, the baby might even have a small imperfection that the newspapers would love to enlarge upon and make a cheap story out of.
When my own son was born, he had a hare lip, and the poor mite didn't look quite as pretty as other babies on the ward at the time.
We just don't know.

This young couple are doing things very differently to how we've traditionally seen the Royals behave.

Many don't like it. It's different and they want to know why.

But at the end of the day, it is their choice and they must have their reasons for this change of public behaviour.
We are not permitted to know what their reasons are though, so people guess and come up with 2+2= 5.

I do agree with what Judd said though, they are a young couple doing it their way, and in traditional Royal circles, that takes guts.

I do also think Dongle's made a fair point too though, when he said if they want to pull away from the type of Royal life, fair enough, but in that case they should fund themselves more.

Hope that clarifies how I feel a bit better.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:39 PM

Well Maghan knows that she can have anything she wants because she is married to a Royal. And Harry will get anything he wants because he is a Royal.
It's always a win-win situation when you are a Royal you know. And all you folks who are defending them...are you still happy to be paying for your TV licences?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 10:12 PM

***** Off topic posts have been removed.

Please stay on topic.

Thank you.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Some people are very quick to moan and complain about the Royal family being a financial drain/burden on the UK. This actually is not factually true. All the royal family expenditure is a matter of public record and if one bothers to go looking at the records you will notice that the Royal family cost to the UK public is less than £100 million a year BUT the Royal family bring in approximately £1.1 billion in revenue to the UK every year.

What angers me the most is that some are prepared to harp on about the Royals being a drain on the public purse and thus should be gone but yet they do nothing about MP expenses. Again, their expenses are a matter of public record and you know what, MP's use more public money every year than the Royal Family do.

Does the country's MP's bring in the same amount of revenue to the UK that the Royal Family do?, not by a long shot, thereby proving that MP's are more of a burden on the tax payers than the Royal family ever is but it is always the royal family who get the heavy criticism, never the MP's.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 11:00 PM

Depends how you view it ... you're not incorrect in what you say about the expenditure of MP's, and it's sometimes scandalous.

But the royals are different to MPs. They could be called a national asset. Part of the tourist industry. Legal leeches.
They're a commodity , nothing more. A more pricey version of the 'Kiss Me Quick ' hats sold on Blackpool promenade.

It's the palaces and castles that draw in the tourists as much as the blue blooded people themselves. A bunch of lookalike dummies lined up at Buckingham Palace would do just as well.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 11:05 PM

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”.

By. Poet John Lydgate

As made famous by Abraham Lincoln
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Some people are very quick to moan and complain about the Royal family being a financial drain/burden on the UK. This actually is not factually true. All the royal family expenditure is a matter of public record and if one bothers to go looking at the records you will notice that the Royal family cost to the UK public is less than £100 million a year BUT the Royal family bring in approximately £1.1 billion in revenue to the UK every year.

What angers me the most is that some are prepared to harp on about the Royals being a drain on the public purse and thus should be gone but yet they do nothing about MP expenses. Again, their expenses are a matter of public record and you know what, MP's use more public money every year than the Royal Family do.

Does the country's MP's bring in the same amount of revenue to the UK that the Royal Family do?, not by a long shot, thereby proving that MP's are more of a burden on the tax payers than the Royal family ever is but it is always the royal family who get the heavy criticism, never the MP's.
Link or explanation of the 1.1 billion please?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 08:01 AM

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/they-c...-in-much-more/

Brought in £430 million more than they cost us last year, leaving other royals such as the Spanish or Belgian ones lagging far behind. The main money earner, however, is the Crown Estate.
https://www.true-cost-of-the-royal-family.com/
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...sm-baby-archie
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Hi

He is a man with values.

He takes his place in the queue.

He opens the door to the oldies.

He put himself in danger to fight for us.

Absolutely no special precautions.

Leave him alone.

His life, his choice.

He is a High Value Target.

We have to protect him.

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top