Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 01:41 PM

The continuing downward spiral of John Lewis

Following a loss of £25.9M for the first half of the year, they may have to withdraw their 'Never knowingly undersold' promise. There are lots of stories emerging where JL has refused to uphold this anyway. I always found that a lot of their electrical items were made specifically for JL, so it would be impossible to buy them elsewhere, let alone cheaper.

The company blames wider troubles on the high street but personally I think they lost the plot some time ago. They seem to have forgotten who their customers are.

The staff are no longer trained to the high standard they used to be and if buying electrical items, it's unlikely they will have it in stock. Their latest blooper is selling a fashion range designed by none other than Meghan Markle.

Along with instore Spa days, wine bars and spending millions on a name change, I'm not sure they will be around much longer which is a shame.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ld-slogan.html
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Re: The continuing downward spiral of John Lewis

I love John Lewis it’s a great store.
A treat to look around JL and see what’s new .
It’s the only place in Hampshire you can buy beautiful wool rugs they’ve an amazing choice .
I always find when buying anything electrical you get good advice .
I’ve recently purchased a speaker from JL the help I received from their shop assistant was second to none .
The thought of trying to get a similar service in Curry’s is laughable.
It’s my first stop shop.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 03:58 PM

Our local John Lewis is pathetic - cheap and nasty clothing at silly prices, over priced household goods and the most unhelpful staff in the city. It would not be missed by me.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Our local John Lewis is pathetic - cheap and nasty clothing at silly prices, over priced household goods and the most unhelpful staff in the city. It would not be missed by me.
WestQuay Southampton JL is wonderful
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 04:33 PM

I love John Lewis. I don't buy much in the way of clothing there but I do buy appliances and homeware as they give the best aftercare and are a great place for presents etc. They should go back to basics as the designer era is ending.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 04:47 PM

I suppose it depends on the store to a certain extent (like all other chain stores). The Oxford Street one is good as is the Blue water one, in fact I would argue that the Blue water store is perhaps better than Oxford Street. The Exeter branch is not so good though. They never have anything in stock and end up ordering it online for you which defeats the object. Waitrose remains the best shop for food although it is more expensive

I have also had a bad experience with their delivery and no longer trust them with large items.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 07:55 PM

John Lewis has always been a total joke imho.

It is ALWAYS knowingly undersold. Always has been.

John Lewis exists imho to serve the whims of snobs who believe it is somehow a cut above the rest. They are willing to pay way over the odds for things they could get elsewhere far cheaper.

A justification often cited by some is that the purchase of electrical goods from JL has the benefit of a special 2 year warranty where they would only get 1 year buying from other electrical goods outlets.

This is of course pure baloney. EU laws dictate that all purchases of electrical goods must come with a 2 year warranty. It has been the case for years, it's just that most people are totally ignorant of that fact.

I've often wondered why John Lewis has lasted as long as this. The world around changed years ago, Many stores realised they couldn't keep charging silly prices or goods when the advent of online shopping took over.
Department stores either adjusted their approach or went bust.

John Lewis has been an overly expensive store my entire life. Always, consistently expensive. Anything I would want to buy there could be bought cheaper elsewhere. Their strap line has for years and years been an utter farce.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
John Lewis has always been a total joke imho.

It is ALWAYS knowingly undersold. Always has been.

John Lewis exists imho to serve the whims of snobs who believe it is somehow a cut above the rest. They are willing to pay way over the odds for things they could get elsewhere far cheaper.

A justification often cited by some is that the purchase of electrical goods from JL has the benefit of a special 2 year warranty where they would only get 1 year buying from other electrical goods outlets.

This is of course pure baloney. EU laws dictate that all purchases of electrical goods must come with a 2 year warranty. It has been the case for years, it's just that most people are totally ignorant of that fact.

I've often wondered why John Lewis has lasted as long as this. The world around changed years ago, Many stores realised they couldn't keep charging silly prices or goods when the advent of online shopping took over.
Department stores either adjusted their approach or went bust.

John Lewis has been an overly expensive store my entire life. Always, consistently expensive. Anything I would want to buy there could be bought cheaper elsewhere. Their strap line has for years and years been an utter farce.
It's actually six years. But we are leaving so all we will have is John Lewis.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Being ethical and profit sharing don't stop a company hitting the wall, folks do and their ethics, such folks are few and far between, that is the problem.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 01:38 PM

I do like John Lewis for my electrical goods. I bought my televisions there as they gave a 5 year guarantee.
I got 5 year guarantee on my AEG tumble dryer, 3 year guarantee on my iPad and 2 years guarantee on other items.
They were were all delivered free.

I would be sad, if they closed down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top