Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 07:49 AM

Re: Jewish Cookery Book

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks for checking ST and I am so pleased you were reunited Mine is only a little younger but hardback with wonderful photos of dishes that would require true dedication, including many recipes with avocados. I will have to try to make an effort to use it because they do look both yummy and nutritious. My neighbour clearly wanted the book to go to a good home so I should really do it some justice. Thanks again for making me think of it!
You are welcome - I envy you the photos - mine is just text.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:15 AM

I used to make Jewish Pencilian a lot at one time, and I used to go to Jews Island in Stoke Newington, N1 to buy the Jewish Chicken Stock.

My Mother-in-Law was a School Cook all of her life in the Jewish School.

You're not Jewish are you Tabs?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:23 AM

I guess there can be many variations but carrot & celery are a must.

We get a couple chicken carcasses from our local butcher*, boil in seasoned water, remove any meat, discard skin & bone. Bring back to the boil, throw in diced carrot & celery, boil for 5 mins ....

then, something not mentioned above, add tiny pasts shells, or there's one that looks like rice grains, boil for a further 5 mins until pastas cooked.

That does two meals for two. You know it's the real thing when it goes gelatinous when cooled.

*cost £1 each but there's some meat of there, and it's quality pullet from a quality butcher.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Hey - I am a happy bunny tonight. My ancient trusty Jewish Cookery Book, which I thought I had lost, has turned up again!

For reasons best known to itself it had migrated from the Cookery Bookshelf near the kitchen door to the Medical Bookshelf in the sitting room. Anyway 'tis found and to celebrate I am brewing up a cauldron of chicken soup! I love chicken soup and this book has the best recipe - ever!
As someone form Jewish stock on my grandmother's side, I applaud your efforts to find the missing book. Some old recipes I love, but a small number of others I steer well clear as I have a history involving a duodenal + peptic ulcers so some foods/dishes I need to avoid.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->

You're not Jewish are you Tabs?
No - but I love Jewish food - it is so delicious. There was a Jewish bakery/cafe not far from where the brother lived and I used to go for breakfast there - freshly made bagels with cream cheese - yummy!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 06:14 PM

Oh yes Tabs freshly baked Bagels with Cream Cheese and Cucumber or Salt Beef.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
This is the recipe I use:-

BEST EVER CHICKEN SOUP

INGREDIENTS – serves 6 -8

3 lbs chicken cut into portions (I use breast meat)
3 Onions – quartered.
6 pints of water
5 celery stalks – sliced
4 carrots – sliced (I leave these out if I am going to make it as Cream of Chicken soup - they spoil the colour)
1 small parsnip – sliced
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
2 Tablespoons chopped dill
Pinch of turmeric
2 chicken stock cubes
2 cloves of garlic – chopped
Salt and pepper to taste.

Put the chicken pieces in a very large pan/cauldron. Add the other ingredients – reserving half the dill to garnish.

Cover the pan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to simmer. Skim and discard any scum that rises to the surface.

Add the stock cubes and simmer for about 2 hours. Skim off any fat..

At this point you can decide on how you want your soup to look. Traditionally it would be served as it is now –clear and rather chunky – and with delicious little dumplings called knaidlach or lokshen (Noodles)

If you want a smoother, less chunky look you can blitz it in a blender.

Here’s where it becomes Cream of Chicken Soup.

Not sure if this bit is strictly kosher – but – after I have blitzed the soup and returned it to the cauldron - I make a liaison with two egg yolks, whisked into 6 x tablespoons of fresh single cream – a dash of dry white wine, and a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg.

Drizzle this carefully into the soup – stirring the whole time so it doesn’t split. Heat it through for a few minutes just to cook the egg yolks. Garnish with the remaining dill and serve immediately or package and freeze. Keeps for 4 - 6 months in the freezer. Needs whisking as it thaws or the cream will separate.

Enjoy!
OMG, ST. That recipe for best ever chicken soup sounds heavenly. I love looking at Jewish recipes on youtube, trouble is, I never seem to have half of the necessary ingredients needed to make their authentic and traditional recipes, so usually give up before starting.

That recipe does sound really good though.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top