Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 09:55 AM

Re: Do You Ever Miss ‘How it Used To Be’?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The thing is Art, in ten years time, you will be looking back to now thinking how you miss it.
Longy, Probably! Well.... that’s if my brain still has the capacity to think!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:16 AM

life is a journey not a destination

haha ... how true.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 11:31 AM

After being cooped up in class rooms all day, we were glad to get out and play when we got home. Do kids still go out to play after school today?

I'm glad I haven't got any little ones to bring up now. I wouldn't know how to teach them the things they want nowadays. They would think I had escaped from the Ark.

I miss the old fashioned humour we used to get on telly, like Les Dawson or Morecome & Wise. Just plain funny without the filth and the F word every sentence to attempt to raise a laugh.

I have never touched drugs in my life, don't even know what it smells like when they smoke stuff, so probably wouldn't know what to look out for in todays kids.

I certainly wouldn't allow the continual swearing I hear as the school kids are turning out round here.

The teachers never made my school days pleasureable, so certainly don't miss that. Dad used to say they were the best years of my life, but they weren't.

I suppose, if I let myself, I could miss someone coming home at times. My son coming home from school, husband coming home from work etc. Nobody comes home any more - except me, so I have to chat to myself about what I'd like for tea.
I also still miss going to see my Mum & Dad, especially as I frequently drive pass their old house. I'd love to call in and sit in the kitchen nattering over a cuppa like we used to.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Music!

I sometimes wish music would go back to when it was just a bit of fun and singers/ bands seemed to be enjoying themselves rather than shoving their miserable politics down our throats.
I whole heartily agree with you. Some so called music these days comes across to me as mostly a cacophony of overbearing beat ridden sound blended with vocals which are impossible to understand even if I wanted to. A good and dedicated musician would not have time for politics and to try and blend the two to me is plain stupid.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 11:52 AM

I sometimes get nostalgic for:-

Just being young, with no worries of what lay ahead.

Listening to vinyl records on my Dansette Record Player in my own little bedroom.

The regular family sit-down Sunday Roast followed by a Pudding.

The seasons being what they should be, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.

The first day of School Summer Holidays, 6 whole weeks off!

Annual coach trips to Rhyl, Southport or New Brighton, The Fairground being the first stop.

Being able to browse through the Littlewoods and Freeman Catalogues to order clothes and shoes,

The Friday or Saturday evening trip to the Chinese or Indian Restaurants with my friends after a great night out.

Getting my weekly wages in cash in a small brown envelope, complete with wage slip.

Being able to walk for miles, and actually Run! (forgotten what that feels like).

Steam Trains - where we had fun standing on the bridge as the smoke enveloped us as it passed underneath, or travelling on the local steam train and listening to the clippity clop sound as the train picked up speed and we sat back and relaxed on lovely soft seats in proper train compartments with little curtains on the windows.

Disco’s. (still love my Motown sounds)

My Farah Fawcett Hair Style. Had it to perfection, including the colour.

The taste of the cream in my little bottle of school milk.

Emptying the little blue bag of salt onto my Smiths Crisps and giving the bag a shake.

And finally, that goodnight kiss from Mum when she popped into the bedroom at night to check I was tucked up nicely.

Lovely nostalgic memories
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
This could apply to your personal life that has changed, or just life generally.
I think this will be a thought provoking question...

So l ask, Do You Ever Miss, How It Used To Be?
You bet I do!

The thing that I miss most is how people used to have more respect for each other.

I think that, more than anything else, it is society which has changed enormously over my lifetime, and I believe that is most apparent in large cities and built-up areas.

I feel that the problem is far less apparent in villages and country areas where people seem to be less affected by the various changes in society such as crime, overcrowding, envy, greed and the rat race.

I should also add that I've never known such ineptness and blatant self-interest in our politicians.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 01:34 PM

No way, Jose. I like it fine where I'm now, enjoying retirement in the country.
Even old age has advantages.
The government keeps sending me lots of money and I don't have to work for it.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Do You Ever Miss ‘How it Used To Be’?

... good times, happy memories, that's important.

I'm now an old foggie in a young person's world, surviving nicely thank you. It's not the world I know & love, but I'm not the young man with a future I once was.

Twenty first century ... it's new and it's exciting and I'm pleased to be here.
I'm with you on that, d double zero d.....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 02:31 PM

I remember ....

staying up late on a Saturday night, watching The Avengers.
going to a pub by the river on a summers evening in the back of dad's Vauxhall Cresta, sitting on the river wall watching the sunset, drinking Cherry Aid with my brothers.
going with brothers on the bus to Gloucester to see Saturday matinee .... Hard Days Night and such like.
growing my hair long and learning how to roll a joint using some of dad's pipe tobacco.
getting my first car, painting it sky blue with a paint brush.

... zzz
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

20-09-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I'm with you on that, d double zero d.....
Yo ... call me dude.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top